promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Atheists Only - Would you prefer an afterlife over no afterlife?

I am an atheist and I've began to wonder if no afterlife is actually better than having an afterlife. I don't want to go into massive details about this, but I am kind of curious what the consensus among atheists is. So, hypothetically, if you had the choice between having an afterlife and having no afterlife, what would you choose?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

This is a slippery slope you've created.

Immortality and reuniting with those whom we miss are lovely concepts.

But devoting THIS life to a twisted theology would be a tremendous waste.

I ultimately settle for "no after life" and that's not so bad.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

I hope there is an afterlife under these conditions:

1. It's not HELL.

2. I don't know it exists until I'm there; therefore it will not affect my life in any way.

3. I can choose to end it whenever I want, and it will not be difficult like suicide. It will just be a decision.

But otherwise, as it is now, the thought of having no afterlife doesn't really bother me. My life is OK as it is and I have no major regrets.

• 8 years ago

No afterlife is better than afterlife. Especially if the afterlife was eternal. That would just be ridiculous. Although I would like to meet Socrates. I can't imagine what he's like after all this time.

Oh well.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I would prefer an afterlife.

Some people are calling it torture--but I'd love an eternity with my loved ones, being with them forever. Ceasing to exist ever again seems...idk somewhat "scary"

But, I'd prefer having a much longer life over having an afterlife.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Keith
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I'd prefer no afterlife, if that were true I think it would take away from the meaning and value of this life I have now.

It would also place less importance on the good things I do, and the impressions I leave behind...I can only assume death would be similar to our cognition before we are born...and I am perfectly okay with that.

• ?
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

I'm not sure, it'd depend on the nature of the afterlife.

A second chance to do it all again and get it all right? Perhaps.

However I doubt what happens to you after you die is going to be open to multiple choices, or, for that matter, up to you.

• 8 years ago

That would depend on what sort of an afterlife there was. I don't think I would want one which I could not end if I wanted to.

• 8 years ago

If it gives me the ability to zip to any corner of the universe with a single thought, then an afterlife would be pretty cool.

Anything else would be dull.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Afterlife. But as Carl Sagan said:

“I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But as much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking.”

• 8 years ago

No afterlife if it's eternal. That would be the ultimate hell, no matter how "blissful". You'd get freaking bored. You'd get so bored you'd rip your own brains out bare-handed, if there were any left.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.