Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 7 years ago

Law/grad school and my GPA?

I'm currently in my fourth year of college, I would like to get my Master's and go to Law school, but I really didn't care too much about school and partied a lot the first couple years, and as a result, my GPA has suffered a lot (it's a 2.1) I'm willing to stay in school another year or two to raise my GPA. If I get it high enough to get into law/grad school, will this look bad to the admission's committee..the fact that I stayed an extra one or two years solely to raise my GPA, and that I've been in college for so long?

Also, any tips about which law school is the best to get into in Northern Illinois/Chicagoland area for my situation would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks! :)

Favorite Answer

Hey Brooklyn,

A few things:

1) A 2.1 GPA is going to severely hurt you in the law school application process. 3.0 is usually considered the cutoff unless you have a fantastic LSAT score or something else of note on your application.

2) Grad school GPA won't affect your chances at law school, so don't count on those grades bringing up your GPA.

3) Law schools don't really care how long it takes you to earn your degree/GPA, just that you've earned it.

So, in short, if law school is really what you want to do, you're going to need to stay in school for awhile and just absolutely rock your classes from here on out in order to bring your GPA up to a level that will be acceptable to law schools. Don't worry about how long it takes - just make sure your GPA is high enough.

Good luck!

Source(s): I am an admissions consultant for Blueprint LSAT Prep and a graduate of Harvard Law School