What position can a skinny guy play in high school football?

Ok so I'm a sophomore in high school and my friends and I were thinking of joining our football team for our junior year. I'm pretty skinny and I'm about 5'7 I weigh somewhere between 112-120 pounds. I started weight lifting back in February and I've improved because when I started I could only lift 15 pound dumbells and now I could lift 25 pound and 30 pound dumbells ( is that good?) I also couldn't bench press before but now I bench press 20 pounds on each side (is that good?). I was just wondering if I join what position you think I would be more suitable to play. I currently go to the gym so any tips on what I should work on before I try out? (I've got untill summer of next year to try out) Also I've never played a sport before and don't know much about football, so what position would you think I'm more likely to play?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

You should ask the coach about what position you have a chance at playing.. He knows the team and who is already on it better than anyone.. He also knows what needs the team has and could probably give you a few options.. Get with him.. Good luck...

• 7 years ago

I agree with the previous poster. There aren't too many positions that someone your size would be able to play on a football team. Even QBs are tall and around 200lbs. Most football players are taller and heavier and can lift and bench as much as you weigh, if not more.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

If you can catch and are fast then a wide-receiver. If you are fast and can hit a safety (That's kind of a boring position if you ask me and I know because I played there once so very long ago.) If you can do none of those things, then a kicker or a punter. I personally play O-line and let me tell you, special teams are boring.

• 6 years ago

If your fast a cb if not, a kicker

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cu Tie
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I highly encourage you to join your high school football team next season. It will still not (yet) be too late for you to start playing football.

Based on your height and weight, I believe that the best fit for you is at the wide receiver position. You have the ideal size for a high school junior wide receiver.

My best advice for you is to work hard and perform very well in practice every day. In addition to weight lifting, what you need to do this autumn (and every offseason) is eat healthy, and exercise by either jogging or going for a long run every day. If you do these things, you will get faster, stronger, and into better shape, which will greatly improve your chances of becoming a successful, top notch wide receiver in high school football, who could go on to play college football.

By the way, your chances of playing college football depend on your performance in football during your junior, and especially senior, year of high school. If you perform very well in football during your final 2 years of high school, you will greatly improve your chances of getting recruited to play for a college football program in the future.

• Sean M
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Kicker & Punter is probably about it, most other positions need plenty of bulk to take the physical punishment play after play

• 4 years ago

Waterboy

• 6 years ago

Play DB or Safety

• FC11
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Kickers and Punters are usually skinny

• 7 years ago

see what the put u as

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.