India A to play without any proper spinner against England in the practice match. Is it fair?

How do you view this approach by India? Is it fair to the English team to not give them any match practice against their main weakness i.e, spin bowling?

From what I've heard, India is going to play 4 pacers and will play no spinners against England in the 3 day practice match. Won't it harm India's preparations too?

Your opinions please.....

15 Answers

Relevance
  • T J
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

Really glad with the new board members that they have shown enough guts to do, what others would have thought of implementing but retracted, for the amount of outrage it would/could cause.

Earlier tour matches were just about practice & getting used to the local conditions. Now they are about launching the first salvo, at the most opportune moment, in this psychological game & war of words.

They might not give England square turners in the practice games but they have made a clever decision to deprive them a proper spinner in the playing XI, to keep their exposure to the minimal. As for Indian spinners, no proper spinner was going to play against the touring team as it is but let's see how it effects English batsmen. Yesterday Bressnan had fired another salvo, that English weakness against spin is over exaggerated but he himself looks lost, along with some other top English batsmen, when it comes to handing quality spin.

Yet its too early to write off England. They have played lots of cricket in the Sub Cont,over the last year, so they would be well prepared for the job on hand. They have Swann & Panesar, along with Patel in their ranks, who can exploit spinning tracks themselves.

Here's wishing team India & England all the best and hope its a quality series, like its geared up to be. Also hope that team India can extract the kind of revenge on team England, like they did last time on their visit to India, so soon after demolishing India at home. May the better team prevail, all the best..

• 7 years ago

are you talking about the warm up tour with the A team against England ? well i think its a good idea what India are doing as you don't want England to have an early look at India's spinners and Englands exposure to what is likely to be their biggest challenge during the Test series.

plus ithink they should hold of Yadav till the test cos i think he could do some damage to england as not many have seen him the next positive is they are playing these guys in the warm up Irfan Pathan, Ashok Dinda, R Vinay Kumar and Parvinder Awana and im hoping Dinda or someone els will do realy well and get put into the main squad ,England say this is even harder and more important than an ashes series Engalnd can chose not to bowl Finn and Broad if they dont want to expose there best bolwers to the A team

• small
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Fair or not is a matter of perspective and opinion. India is well within its rights to use only those bowlers whom they want to test against the English batsmen and if India is more concerned about its pacers effectiveness, it has a reason to play all prospective pace bowlers to enable it choose from for the test series to follow. It is for the English team to find its own ways to remove its weaknesses or reinforce its strengths and if they depend on their opponents to help them in this task, it is another weakness they suffer from.

Sports are becoming very professional and competitive and there is no way any team can ever demand even an inch to be given up by opponents. What would probably be blatant violation of spirit is if the pitch is doctored so as to deny reasonable practice for the visiting team.... anything beyond that is not reasonable to expect.... for example, Ashwin, Ojha and Bhajji are going to be the likely spinners to be chosen for the test matches.... does it mean we are obliged to give batting practice to the visitors against these bowlers, even as a matter of spirit of the game? Where is the line to be drawn regarding what these warm up games are meant for?

• 7 years ago

I think its an absolute brilliant tactic. No where in the rule book does it say that anything outside the rules is going on. So England have nothing to complain about. India may just set a preset-ant here and this sort of behaviour could become the norm for touring parties. Well done to the selectors for taking a gamble. Either way you look at it they have already got inside the English mindset.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Unless the A team is different to the Aus A team, it's just for people that are on the fringes of international selection. So it could just be a pace bowl-off kind of thing to see who holds up better against a good international team.

Regardless of the intentions, it's the BCCI's team to choose, they can do what they want with it.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I pretty much agree with the first answer. They are perfectly entitled to do that, though it could backfire if the spinners are under bowled, or one of them picks up an injury before the Tests start.

This a fuller answer that I gave in a recent, similar, question...

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ao...

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Great start by Sandeep Patil by not including any spinners ...and the decision to drop Rohit Sharma from the warm-up eleven was also a brave one.....

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Av...

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Not fair, but not illegal. All teams are entitled to employ their tactics in a series. India might underplay their spinners, but it will hurt the English preparations more.

A lot of the English team have seen IPL action, so plenty of experience with the conditions already, do not such a big deal.

• 7 years ago

It is probably not fair to England, but then India is well known to doctor it's wickets so undoubtedly they will probably doctor the wicket with the trial match to bounce through and then if a test match is played they will revert it to turn square.

It probably won't harm India's preparation in the first match as an India A side is meant to be the second eleven side so is not meant to be playing in the test match anyway. In the second match which is the first eleven team, it probably will harm India's preparation and hopefully it will lead to them losing to serve them right.

• ?
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

It's very simple "you are at my place then you play by my rules". Nobody gives a rat's a** about what Michael Vaughan said about India's tactics as pathetic and that goes too David Lloyd too.

Silly poms should keep their whinning to their wives and focus on pulling a win in those dustbowls.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.