Is there a way to use two internal HDD's completely separate from eachother?

I have a PC with windows on the HDD and i want to install a second HDD with Ubuntu on it but i dont want one HDD to be a slave to another.

Is there a way to be able to use the Ubuntu HDD while keeping the power on the windows HDD off without having to open the case and disconnecting the cables?

are there cases for sale with buttons to do this?

I only use ubuntu for surfing the web because its safer and faster and easier and cheaper because you dont need to buy anti-virus software!

However programs like itunes, spotify, realplayer, google earth and many newly released programs dont run well on ubuntu, so you need windows to get the latest!

Also if one harddrive which is used a lot, burns, then you still have the other with your music and documents.

I already have two internal hard drives installed "indepently" inside my desktop but when i want to use the windows one i have to open the case and disconnect one hard drive and connect the other.

I wish there was a case with buttons to choose which hard drive to power up for use without the other one receiving any power from the motherboard!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

If you only need it for web browsing then why not run it in a virtual machine instead? Seems like less work that way.

- Dominic

'Slave' grow to be utilized in elementary words on PATA interfaces, SATA does no longer use this time period. What you should do is set up your ubuntu on a separate disk, then, even as booting the gadget, press F10 or F2 (regardless of the boot decision secret's) and choose the different rigidity to boot from. you do not ought to (and may no longer) disconnect the rigidity with any 'buttons' .

It wouldn't be fully independent, but you could set up the Ubuntu drive as the boot, with a grub boot menu which could boot the Windows drive - and if the Ubuntu drive fails, the Windows drive could easily be switched to be the bootable drive.

I did have one old PC where the BIOS had a drive by drive boot menu, but that seems to be a feature which was abandoned, now it's just drive type.

Just plug them in withoud a RAID array or anything. One will be C: one will be D: One will have windows one will have ubuntu. But why bother install ubuntu?

if you knew anything about computers, electronics and electricity which i have to think not or you wouldn't be asking this question.