If I buy the 80% lower receiver (AR-15), can I put a barrel shorter than 16" without registering it?

Im not going to sell the gun or anything. I know you can legally make your own guns without the intention or distributing them. I just want to know if I could put a short barrel on it without having to tell the government.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

NO. Just owning a short barrel upper with no SBR registered receiver is treated the same as having an illegal SBR. So you cannot even buy the barrel until you go through the background check and get your stamp.

Note that building an AR from a lower receiver is not considered "making" (manufacturing) the gun. It is assembling the gun.

• Zee
      Lv 4
      3 years agoReport

Not entirely true. If the person uses the 80% lower to make a pistol, then any barrel length is legal to use. Once a stock is installed, then it becomes illegal w/o doing a NFA Form 1 and getting approval and appropriate engraving on receiver first.

• 7 years ago

You would need to register the gun no matter what, per the NFA of 1934, GCA of 1968, GOPA of 1986. So technically, if the total barrel length is less than 16" (you can use a 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" or longer compensator and that's perfectly legal as well), then it has to be registered, or built as a pistol. It doesn't matter if you finish an 80% lower yourself or buy one from a manufacturer.

• 7 years ago

You are potentially stepping into a gigantic cauldron of very hot water.

Were I you, I sure as hell wouldn't be soliciting advice of this kind on Yahoo Answers of all places. Seriously. By Federal Law, what you are describing is MAKING AN NFA TITLE 2 Firearm without paying the tax -- felony.

HOWEVER, there are several states which have filed (and passed) Firearm Freedom Acts, which makes it LEGAL by state law to make any NFA weapon (except a machine gun) if no major parts passed through Interstate Commerce.

ATF has threatened to enforce federal law despite state law to the contrary.

You absolutely, positively, without fail, should consult an attorney in your state before commencing with this behavior, as the consequences for "doing it wrong" results in federal jail time and the loss of your civil rights pretty much forever.

Because in some states, this is a deliberate conflict between state and federal law, this question is unanswerable and in the majority of the states in the US it is downright illegal.

Short answer: No. It is not Federally legal for you to make an SBR without first registering it and paying the tax, getting back the properly-stamped ATF Form, as an SBR (Short Barrelled Rifle) is classified as a Title 2 Firearm under the National Firearms Act of 1934.

You get a small bowl of troll chow.

Because generally, you fail.

• 6 years ago

I have a couple-lt's not the barrel length,ever heard of a ar pistol?Its what kind of stock you have

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mr.357
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

If you didn't finish the receiver, you could. If the receiver is finished, then it is a gun and you must follow gun laws, so you would be in possession of a SBR without a tax stamp. That will get you a $100,000 fine and 10 years in federal prison.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

That's considered a short-barreled firearm, and in violation of both Federal and State law. In short, no. You cannot. As far as "making your own guns", you *still* have to file a 4473 for the receiver.

Source(s): former FFL holder former cop
    • Zee
      Lv 4
      3 years agoReport

You OBVIOUSLY were never a FFL holder, or else had your FFL revoked for violations, if you give a silly answer like that. #4473 is ONLY for FFL transfers, not individuals. Nobody "files a #4473" for legal privately made firearms.

• 7 years ago

BREKING the law,,,,,why not keep safe buy a .223 pistol order one from you local fill out the form IN gun store

and make the things right,let me give 3 alternatives

(a)KEL-TEC $439

http://www.slickguns.com/product/439-keltec-plr-16...

(b)C93 PISTOL MP5 $688

http://www.slickguns.com/product/439-keltec-plr-16...

h

(c)PTR G3 PISTOL $994

http://www.slickguns.com/product/ptr-pdw-308-85-20...

• 7 years ago

No. It would still be an SBR and still would have to be registered.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

no, a personal firearm still has to comply with state & federal laws...

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Ducks

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.