Should I become a medical assistant or an LVN/RN?

I always wanted to become a doctor from when I was little, but when I made it to college, I found it wasn't easy and I got put on academic suspension. Now I'm in a special medical program at my local community college, taking an intro to health professions course and I finish the course, I can become a medical assistant in 2 semesters or an LPN in 4 semesters or RN for longer, I forgot how many semesters. I don't know what I should do because I have a lot of loans to pay back and I'm on financial aid. Can I have some advice please?

Favorite Answer

LPN and then go back and do a bridge program to RN. If you have bad grades in your history, you will never get into a full nusing school at this point. Have the LPN degree under your belt, along with experience, and your chances at being an RN will be better. From there, you can move up to CRNA or NP, which will get you closer to the dream of being a physician.

The LPN would be in your best interests, I think. One year of school, take Board exams, make money pretty quickly. The MA has no place to advance, can only work in a doctor's office, The RN will take at minimum of 2 years. A 4 year RN is the standard for hire at most places, but a 2 year nurse can get a job, though not likely to advance unless she is unusual..

I suggest being a lvn then RN, if you don't have good grades get into a private school. It's quick and there is more one on one but also expensive.