matt
matt asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 years ago

What style sword is most popular for fighting?

I know the user is more important but I'd like some good opinions on the sword itself.

Favorite Answer

My sword.

No two quality swords are alike. Only mass produced wall hangers are alike. I train a little in Ken and my teacher and we students get together once a year for a special cutting practice. That is when we bring all our Katana and trade off our Katana to see how it is to work with a different sword and I tell you even though they are all Katana, no two swords are alike. They all handle slightly differently, balance is a little different, weight is a little different, handles are different lengths, blades are different lengths, metal is different and the list goes on and on. This is just Katana.

Now you want to expand to different swords too. I also practice Chinese straight sword. Just like the Katana the quality ones vary and while I own several straight swords I do have a preference as to which ones I use and on top of that depending on what form I do I prefer a different sword. I use one for Taiji, a different one for Shaolin Kung Fu and a different one for Baguazhang. Weight and balance determines which straight sword works better for what form.

I also owns Chinese broad swords but only prefer one over all the others.

You can see that the choice of the sword largely depends on personal preference. (Wrist/arm) strength, (wrist) flexibility and the movements you are capable of executing mostly determine which sword you are most comfortable with. Since no two people are alike it would be impossible to determine, let alone argue over which sword is most popular.

Well in fencing there is foil, epee and saber if that helps

Source(s): Hope it helps :)

I'm guessing the katana is?

karate, shotokan is cool.