What's the difference between freshwater trolling motors and saltwater trolling motors?

Apparently they're different, but how? Can one not be used for the other purpose?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Dexter
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

Salt water motors are white, and fresh water motors are black. All of them are completely sealed, & use aluminum & stainless steel, so salt water is not going to affect them differently. The salt water ones usually have longer shafts and more thrust for use on bigger boats. You should rinse everything thouroughly after using it in salt water anyway, even if it says it's designed for salt water.

• 3 years ago

Trolling Motor Saltwater

• 3 years ago

Saltwater Trolling Motors

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What's the difference between freshwater trolling motors and saltwater trolling motors?

Apparently they're different, but how? Can one not be used for the other purpose?

Source(s): 39 difference freshwater trolling motors saltwater trolling motors: https://tr.im/AF03n
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Dexter (and CD) are on the right track, (thumbs up).

The main difference between a Saltwater and Freshwater T-motor is the electrical systems are sealed and they use more saltwater resistant metals in the overall design- including aluminum, stainless steel, hybrid metals, Etc.

The other important difference? They are offered in longer lengths.

Yes, you can use a freshwater motor in saltwater- but, you MUST be very diligent in keeping the motor and head clean at ALL TIMES. Periodically opening the head cover and applying grease and Vaseline when needed is imperative. Why????

The circuitry in a freshwater motor isn't sealed the same like a saltwater version. If your not vigilant about cleaning the motor after EVERY SINGLE trip eventually the board and solders rust.

Thats why most people opt for a saltwater version in saltwater- it gives you some peace of mind.

TU's to Dexter. CD gets my vote for BA.

UPDATE: Compare these two models:

- Freshwater- http://www.basspro.com/Minn-Kota-Maxxum-Bow-Mount-...

-Saltwater- http://www.basspro.com/Minn-Kota-Riptide-SM-Series...

Both have up to 101 LB thrust sized motors; BUT, the Saltwater versions have shaft lengths up to 62" (instead of 52" for the Freshwater) and most importantly they have sealed circuitry- "Control boards are fully encapsulated in marine-grade polyurethane to protect the electronic circuitry".

Source(s): 'Ole Fisherman.
  • 6 years ago

It seems to me that opening the circuitry and sealing it with marine grade silicone along with the connections and wires would be the easiest thing to make a freshwater trolling motor good for salt water. I'm going to try it. My engine quit recently and after taking it apart I found rusty grease and a connection eaten away, so I'm going to flush and fix it and try this. I'll let you know if it works because the difference between the two motors is about 800 bucks.

• 7 years ago

I would believe that the components used to keep it rust resistant would be the difference. You can get away with using a fresh water trolling motor in salt if you don't mind the up keep but in the long run buying a trolling motor that's salt water ready would keep the up keep ( money out of the pocket) to a minimum and can be used in fresh water without any issues. Trolling motors come in all types of thrust and gadgets now-a-days, buy the best you can for what you need but think multi use before you lay down that cash. ~Good luck catchin'.

• 7 years ago

salt water boats are generally bigger so they have more thrust and power. Im sure you could use a freshwater electric trolling motor in saltwater if you have a smaller boat.

• paul z
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

freshwater ones are lighter,'cause the boat is smaller,and you don't have the corrosion issue you will with salt water,Also the power is greater for a salt water model,and it's overall longer,heavier and stronger than the freashwater ones,but also more expensive as well.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.