is windows 8 good for a non touch screen?

I got a netbook and I dont know if I should install it

My netbook is on windows 7, but I feel W8 is only for touch screen. It is seems that Microsoft only made the OS for tablets

@plutonic, do these restores work well? the pause on copying file is a good improvement but the OS itself is very touch screen friendly.....

Favorite Answer

If you got a netbook then don't install Windows 8. Most of them have screen resolutions too lower for the O.S.

Also, Windows 8 works just fine without a touch screen but I suggest anyone installing 8 learn the keyboard shortcuts as soon as they can.

Steam also works fine in Windows 8.

- Dominic

• Astano

After testing heavily with a Touch Screen on my PC, it's great... if you have a touch screen! Using Windows 8 without a touch screen makes it so hard to use, if you decide to use Windows 8 on a non-touch screen computer then disable the Modern (Metro) UI as it's entirely touch screen based, it does work with a mouse but no where near as well! I would say stick with Windows 7, not all programs on Windows 7 work on Windows 8, Steam for example doesn't work! Maybe you should test it on a Virtual Box install and see how you find it, but I can asure you it will annoy you!

Source(s): Computer Games Developer

Windows 8 can be used in 2 different modes. The so called Metro interface is mainly geared to touch screen and phone type applications. On the touchscreen, there is a "Desktop" tile which allows you to use Windows in the classical Windows style MINUS the Start Button! There are Start button restorers out there. One I found that works well is VI Start at:

http://lee-soft.com/vistart/windows-8-start-menu.h...

and that will make it usable in the classical (old) Windows Desktop mode.

There are several under-the-hood improvements, one of which is the ability to pause when copying using Windows Explorer.

So the bottom line is that Windows 8 is not just for touch devices.

It is and it isn't. The good thing is that you can still run normal programs under is that would run under Windows 7. 99% of those programs run best with a mouse/keyboard. The bad thing is that the apps that Microsoft developed specifically for Windows 8 are meant to work well with a touch screen, so using a mouse with them will probably be a little harder. Also the entire basic functionality is designed for a touch screen.

windows 8 is amazing for touch and non touch screens

it might seem to you that windows 8 is all about touch

and its true but that doesnt mean its not good when your using a mouse and keyboard

windows 8 was designed with touch in mind but you can also use a mouse and keyboard and using them is also as good as touch

windows 8 is amazing

if you dont like it (which will be hard) you can click on the desktop icon and you will have the same windows 7 look and feel there

to upgrade to windows 8 check this link below

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/buy?oci...

you can even buy it from there

its the official windows site

hope i helped :)

tell me if you decided to upgrade

and if you got any question or need any help you can email me at spieleranswers@outlook.com

Noo, since microsoft released windows 8 very touch screen friendly, thats like saying is a tablet good if it is only compatible with a keyboard

Source(s): me

Windows Me8

Just save your self some money or bandwidth ( if you know what I mean ) and stick with Windows 7 or if you have XP or Vista upgrade to Windows 7, I tried the dev build and I really hated it.

Hello,

A good link to download Vistart is: http://bitly.com/1wLIayk

You should try it

• Jose V

its pretty good. you get a few more features over windows 7. It is really good if your netbook was on vista.