DL asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 years ago

Is it cruel and unusual to execute murderers suffering from intellectual disabilities?

I am taking a poll for my political science class this semester. I need to know others thoughts on this question and why they think that way.

• ioerr

I could see calling it "cruel and unusual" if the disabilities were profound, obvious, indisputable, involving severe, debilitating retardation or insanity.

I wouldn't consider it "cruel and unusual" if all they had was "ADD," or "IED," or any of a number of other "disorders" that I basically consider imaginary. I don't think people like that have any disorders at all in other words. I'm sure there is a natural set of variations from the absolute "normal psychology" in any population, and I'm sure people like this fall well within the bounds of what can reasonably be considered "normal enough."

Psychology in its current state barely deserves to be called a science in the first place. It certainly can't be disputed there are cases of real mental impairment, but it hardly takes a trained professional to spot those.

According to the Supreme Court, it is. In 2002, in the case of Atkins v. Virginia the Supreme Court decided that "it is a violation of the Eighth Amendment ban on cruel unusual punishment to execute death row inmates with "mental retardation". The decision reflects the national consensus which has formed on this issue. (Associated Press, June 20, 2002)."

You can read the decision at http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/00-8452.ZS.h...

I agree with the Supreme Court on this.

• Dan H

The supreme court of the US has decided that it is if the accused meets certain standards for mental retardation.

I'm not sure what the difference is between locking up someone with a low IQ up for life and executing them when they have committed murder.

Hope you have a maybe column for your answers. I'm sitting on the fence.

It's cruel and unusual to execute murderers. You yanks are barbarians.

There are genetic and chemical ways to solve these intellectual disabilities, even learning might reprogram them minds and accentuate their inner intelligence. I do not regard prison systems or execution correct or wrong, I hail the anarchy goddess.

Yes because they don't have the capacity to understand the full results of their actions or the law.