Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 7 years ago

What is a reasonable price for a used Toyota or Honda?

I will be buying my first car in a few months. Something simple, so I'm thinking a Toyota or a Honda.

I'm starting to save up, and I need to know what is a reasonable price for one of these vehicles? I want something inexpensive, but I won't take any risks as far as getting a car that's in poor condition.

Favorite Answer

The simple rule is the older you go and the cheaper you get the higher the risk for major repairs gets. There really is no way to avoid that. Expecting no risk at all with any used car is just an unreasonable expectation. They can't even guarantee 100% reliable with a brand new car. That's why they offer warranties.

Buy a car that's less than 3 or 4 years old and it's going to be just like new but it's going to cost you almost as much as a new car. Buy something with 75k miles and 7 or 8 years old and you're talking $10K or more for a nice Accord or Camry. Go to 100K miles and 10 years old and your at $5000 but the reliability starts to go way down. Anything under $5000 with high mileage is going to be a high risk. The cheaper you go the higher the risk.

It really comes down to what you can afford. Set you price and your risk level and do the best you can to find the right car.

• Ask a lot of questions

You can't ask enough of them when it comes to buying a used car. If you are buying from a licensed car dealer or salesperson, or are buying privately, you'll want to consider questions like:

•Are you the original owner (if buying privately)?

•Why are you selling the vehicle (if buying privately)?

•Are you the person who drove it the most (if buying privately)?

•How many people have owned the car?

•What is the car's condition? How about the body and upholstery?

•Has the car ever needed repairs that cost more than say $1000?

•Has the vehicle ever been in an accident?

•Do you have service records?

•Did the car come from another province?

•Was it ever used as a taxi, police car, emergency vehicle, a lease or rental?

•Does the odometer accurately show the true mileage the car has travelled

Plus you would want to get help from an experienced person who knows about thinkgs to look at when buying used cars.

Depends.

try to buy a honda accord for under 10,000 if possible, but their are plenty of good cars under 5000 too

Depends on the model.

depends on the year and mileage.

$3500