SSD, please help ???????????

Ok as stated in a diffrent question this is my current build on order to me;

Processor : Intel Core i7-3820 (Four Core, 10MB Cache) 3.60GHz 1

Memory : 8192MB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel

Hard Drive : 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7200RPM) 32MB Cache

Optical Drive : DVD+/-RW (Read/Write) 24x

Graphics : 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GTX 680

Operating System : English Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64 BIT)

Sound : Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability

Monitor - Samsung S24B300HL 23.6 inch Widescreen LED Monitor - Gloss Black (1920 x 1080 Full HD, 5ms, HDMI/VGA)

Do i REALLY HAVE to get a SSD or will i be ok without one, plus i dont really want to spend anymore money as this had cost me nothing short of £1800, plus with it coming would it be worth getting a SSD of amazon and the fitting it when it comes so its on a fresh system instead of me booting everything up and then backing up all data, or are the somewhat "plug n' play".

Sorry if this makes no sense im just really busy with other things lol, any he;ly/advixe would be great. Thanks in advance !

Favorite Answer

You don't 'need' an SSD drive but it is definitely worth it - especially to install Windows and your important programs on.

You can pick up a 120GB SATA3 SSD drive for around £60-£80. Install that as your main drive - Put Windows on there and install your programs. Put the 1TB drive as a second drive (or even buy an external USB SATA dock to run it externally and put all your files on there.

With an SSD you will boot into Windows in 20 seconds. Once the desktop is on screen you can start working instantly without waiting for everything as your antivirus etc. would have already loaded before you have time to think about it. Also (for me), I use Photoshop CS5 and that loads in 5 seconds rather than 15 seconds on a normal hard drive. Your PC will also shut down in 5-10 seconds. Programs install much much faster as you will see straight away when installing Windows (it will take about 10mins).

SSD's plug in exactly the same as a normal hard drive. They are smaller (2.5" like a laptop drive) so you need to get a bracket to enable you to properly screw it into a hard drive bay in your case (all very easy and brackets either come with the drive or are very cheap to buy extra).

Don't worry about what people are saying about 'not lasting as long because of limited writes'. This isn't fully proven yet because the current generation of improved SSDs haven't been in use long enough. Basically a normal Hard Drive you will be lucky to get 5 years of heavy use out of it. An SSD does have a write limit but it is huge and a normal HD with moving parts would have failed long before the 'write limit' was reached.

I'd say give it a try. I was torn for a while but when I did eventually get one it is the biggest improvement to my PC and my PC was already a good gaming spec. If you are going to do it though I'd definitely get it now and install it instead of setting everything up on the other Hard Drive and having to do it again!

You don't have to get a SDD. In fact, I recommend a regular HD. SSDs have limited write cycles, and after that, they can't be written to anymore. The number of write cycles is high, but I'd rather not risk it.

Having a regular HD will decrease your battery time and increase your data access and write times, but not that much. I'd rather have that than deal with a SDD that can't be written to anymore.

You got a nice system and it will benefit greatly from SSD.

It's more of a personal choice. It is A LOT faster though.

But no, you don't NEED it.

Well, of coarse you dont need an SSD, why would you? I recommend one though for your boot drive and important programs.