Should adopted children be able to view their birth records?

In my english class,we're doing a two sided paper,and my topic is about whether adoptees should be able to view their birth records or not.And I need opinions.Thanks guys!

Favorite Answer

There is no civil right to these records. Activists would like to call it that but there isn't.

No biological parent giving up a child for adoption should be forced to see or know that child, if that is the purpose. What about making available all of the info except contact information?

Yes. It already happens in the UK and adopted adults are allowed to access their birth certificate (adopters get an adoption certificate) and paperwork when they are 18. It doesn't matter whether the adoption is open or closed, the parents are or were criminals, murderers, abusers, chose adoption or were coerced the adoptee is still allowed to see records. Also adoptees aren't second class citizens. There are children being raised by parents who have done bad things in their lives or raised by relatives because one or both parents are in prison. They know the truth and have access to information so an adoptee shouldn't be treated any differently. Adoptees should be alowed to access records legally and morally so should be treated equally.

Incidently natural parents don't seal records it is done regardless of their feelings and about 96% of parents want their children to know who they are and are open to contact.

All adults should have access to their history, whether adopted or not. This is a matter of civil rights: knowing your history, where you come from, medical issues in your family, etc.

In the past, closed adoptions were the norm, and the birthparents did not know who the adoptive parents were. Because this was the norm, the idea of not allowing contact between the adoptee and their birthparents also became standard wisdom.

This has all changed with the advent of open adoption. Now the birthparents and the adoptive parents know each other and share identifying information. In this day and age there is no ethical or legal basis for discriminating against adult adoptees. They should be given access to their birth records.

Oh hell yes! I'm 41 and have been in reunion with my birth mom for over 20 years. And yet, I'm super pissed that the government is sealing something from me that's about me. Also that I have to go through extra secure channels to even get a copy of my fake birth certificate. I truly believe in the U.S. we should do as Britain does and issue a true birth certificate as well as an adoption certificate. The adoptive parents can keep the birth certificate and use the adoption certificate as ID for the child.

Birth Records Search Database : http://BirthRecords.neatprim.com

• ABCXYZ

Uhhhhh, should non-adopted children be able to view their birth records?! 'Children' is the operative word here.... that implies the young offspring of humans. Yes, they should be able to look at their birth records just as anybody else should!

Yes and there are a few states and country's who allow this. It's archaic that this info is kept from a whole population of people just because they are adopted. Adoptees should should be able to access there info just like anyone else.

Source(s): reunited with my birth daughter since 2001

YES. 100% absolutely no restrictions YES.

What other situation in life involves a legal contract made on behalf of a minor that is binding on the minor his or her entire life?

Answer: none.

There is absolutely no reason adoptees should ever ever have to live with a blank wall.

Wishing you well.

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.

Yes of course! It's a basic human right.

In fact, most civilized nations of the world allow for this. Most have ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child, which encompasses the right to just this (the truth of their origins)

Unfortunately, the USA is not one of those civilized nations (with the exception of only 6 States)

ETA: Jenna is mistaken - the natural parents have nothing to do with the sealing of original birth records. The records are sealed by the State upon completion of an adoption.

And, it is indeed a civil right of a US citizen to access records held pertaining to one's own life

A source for that statistic of 300 abandoned babies per year? and by women/girls no less - who's to say it was the mothers of the babies who abandoned them and not a third party, hmmm

And saying 'yay' to annonymous child abandonment is pretty low, blech

ETA Again re civil rights - Activists have successfully had laws changed in several States for that exact reason and are laboriously working on the remaining States one.at.a.time

Shocked and surprised that some people would be OK with adopted people not having the same rights as non-adopted people. There is NO defense for discrimination!

Of course they should! Every non-adopted person can view their own birth records. There is no guarantee of privacy in adoption and everyone deserves to know the truth about his or her origins.

• 7rin

Absolutely they should!

Wtf should they NOT be allowed to see THEIR OWN factual birth records, just like everyone else can?

Oh, I know, because adoptees are second class citizens who don't deserve to be treated like humans because they're toys that people BUY.

You should educate yourself, and the rest of your class. Read the links and blurb mentioned in the Best Answer (as chosen by voters) @ http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201012... and http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201011... and then take a nose through the reams of links and other bumph I've been accumulating over at http://7rin-on-adoption.dreamwidth.org/

Source(s): My blog @ http://adoptedintheuk.co.uk/ Abandoned to adoption at 7mths old. I didn't have a bad adoption - my afamily are the best I could ever have chosen... but if I'd been able to choose, I'd've chosen to be aborted instead. At least then the lifetime of agony would've been over in minutes/hours/days, instead of the decades that I've been suffering for now. Abandoned early 1973. Reunited late 2009.