Video card clicking under load?

I purchased a new video card from eBay. It's a PNY Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti XLR8 Enthusiast Edition with 1GB DDR5. I installed this card during a fresh PC build. Everything works fine under normal load such as browsing the web or watching a DVD. However, under increased load while playing a game (Sid Meier's Civilization V) the video card begins to click and eventually stop all video output leaving my monitor with the blue screen saying "no signal" and forcing me to restart Windows. Under close observation I was able to determine the clicking noise is coming from the video card fan as it attempts to increase speed. It will continue to repeat this cycle several times until video output failure occurs. I'm assuming this means the video card is defective. I thought my power supply might be a culprit but I did a power supply requirement evaluation on Newegg's website based on my equipment and was given a suggested power supply wattage of 440 watts. I'm running a 550 watt power supply so I don't think that's it. Any comments appreciated.

Favorite Answer

A good way to know for sure is to try it in another computer - if it works in another machine than you know something is unique with your system. Make sure there are no obstructions in front of the fan as well.

For any reasonably intense end video card, like the 9800gt, a minimum of a 600 watt ability furnish is counseled. in case you won't be able to locate a fairly priced one, you are able to likely get via with a 500 watt furnish with no situation. i ought to examine newegg for a ability furnish, they oftentimes have highly good bargains on pc hardware.

Yeah, get a refund.