Are these John Green books bad influences?!?

Alright, so I've already read An Abundance of Katherine's and The Fault in our Stars and I am totally in love with this man and I want to read more but, I've heard his other books may contain alcohol, drugs etc. so I'm just wondering if these books would be a bad influence:

•Looking for Alaska

•Paper Towns

As much as I want to buy them, I'm scared I would be badly influenced. PLEASE REPLY IMMEDIATELY AS I AM ABOUT TO BUY BOOKS FOR MY NEXT TRIP!!!

THanks!

Favorite Answer

Like the previous answerer said, you know what is good for you. I've read Looking For Alaska, The Fault In Our Stars, and An Abundance of Katherine's. I'm the same way I was before I read these books. Actually, I'm enlightened now. These books have given me an awesome perspective on life. Except An Abundance of Katherine's, which, coincidentally, I finished reading yesterday. This book wasn't John Green's strongest, in my opinion. It is his first book, so that may explain it. However, The Fault in Our Stars is probably my absolute hands down favorite book right now. I've never read Paper Towns (I am going to start it probably within the next week or so), but like I mentioned, I did read Looking For Alaska. That book was amazing. Yes, there's some drinking and explicit sexual situations, but really, it's for a mature audience. An audience that can tell what they should be doing, and what they shouldn't be. Sure, the characters in Looking For Alaska are brilliant individuals and they are so interesting and likable, but, some of the things they partake in (especially what Alaska herself does) isn't exactly...what we ourselves should be doing. If you dive into Looking For Alaska with that mindset, I think you will be okay. I enjoyed TFIOS much better, but the popular opinion of many of John Green's fans think Looking For Alaska is superior. It's simpler, and yet, it makes you think. The Fault in Our Stars kind of does all the thinking for you and answering for you, and Looking For Alaska is the contrary. It's more like that book that asks a whole bunch of deep, philosophical questions, but unlike TFIOS, it's vague. You have to piece some things together on your own. That's just my personal opinion, though. Anyway, Paper Towns. Well, I've only read the little synopsis on the back of the book, but to me, it seems like it's Looking For Alaska's twin. I'm probably very wrong, but to me, that's what it seems like. Except, the protagonist (in this case, Quentin) has had a crush on our leading lady (Margo) for quite some time, whereas the protagonist of Looking For Alaska (Miles or "Pudge") kind of just meets Alaska at the beginning of the book and BAM! he's in love. So...yeah. Make of that what you will. If you don't go into Looking For Alaska with the mindset I mentioned earlier, you may find yourself wanting to be like Alaska or Pudge or the Colonel. In some ways, that's good, but in most ways, it is not. They aren't the best role models (Augustus and Hazel Grace are kind of perfect role models. Same thing with Colin Singleton, he's a great role model, too ((if not better, lol)). Even if I don't particularly like him). I hope that you enjoy both books and that you have fun with them on your trip. Sorry I wrote so much, I had a lot to say. :/

Source(s): I've read The Fault In Our Stars (July 2012), Looking For Alaska (August-really early September 2012), and An Abundance of Katherine's (Late September-October 2012). I'm also a huge John Green fan. Check out his and his brother Hank's youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/vlogbrothers?feature=r...

I would say not. These books do contain some explicit behavior/alcohol use/smoking, etc, but that's not to say they encourage them. Looking For Alaska does contain a very described oral sex scene, but it is written to be "awkward" and discourage these kinds of encounters as being not romantic or meaningful when they are done hastily and without deeper love. I personally think that's a good example for readers, because instead of just not including this sort of thing, it's actively discouraging it. Also, alcohol used is addressed in a non-"preachy" way. Not to ruin the plot, but some very bad things happen as a result of alcohol use in LFA, and as a result, the reader sees the consequences of this reckless behavior. Actually, the main character completely gives up drinking in the second half of the book because of these consequences. It is an extremely powerful book- and not, I would say, a bad influence.

Paper Towns is more shallow, and has less of these implications. While it's cleaner than LFA, the bad behavior it may contain has less of the meaning behind it. So if you're really concerned, stick with Alaska. It's definitely more explicit, but it has a positive reason for doing so.

Source(s): John Green is fantastic.

When you use your brain, think for yourself and understand what is good for you, absolutely nothing is a bad influence. You could learn good from anything.

If you don't think and understand, you'll take even the good things in a bad way because you simply won't understand.

You should know your character, and are you smart and mature enough to read any kind of book and learn good things. That's actually the point of books-to teach you a good lesson.

If you think that you are not capable of taking the book the right way, and learning the right lesson from it, you should read it with a smart adult you trust to be responsible and smart. Then you can discuss it with them and they will explain the point and moral of the story in the book to you.

You should not avoid books because they contain alcohol and drugs-it's a part of every day life today unfortunately, and the only way that you can learn how bad it is, is to face it (and a good and safe way is to read a book about it) and learn about it.

• vaghn

I'd! That is VERY John green-ish lol. It can be been a while on account that I read Perks, so i don't rather don't forget it well sufficient to claim if it is similar to that. I admire her chaotic way of thinking. Simply two matters: 1) i'd capitalize "inkwell" and "haven." That harassed me a little on the grounds that at first I idea you intended an precise inkwell.... 2) Did you imply "taking into account" when you said "completing"? In the event you meant completing, i do not believe it rather is smart there, and in the event you supposed contemplating, i might alternate it to anything else in view that for some reason I simply particularly hate that phrase lol. It sounds pretentious.

Of course you wont' be influenced in any way, unless you don't know how to use your brain. Does watching horror movies make you a serial killer? Of course not. I've read 'Looking for Alaska' and loved it.