Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 8 years ago

How safe and reliable is the FDA?

...I ask this because a few years ago, I took several antibiotics and had several adverse reactions, including insomnia and psychosis. I was told that the medicines couldn't have caused my condition because the medications were FDA approved, meaning they were safe. However, I am beginning to have my doubts about the FDA. I mean, these are the same guys that put zoloft on the market. I'm really not sure how they decide what drugs to put out on the market. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Just because a medicine is approved by the FDA, that doesn't mean you can't have a reaction to it. And just because you had a reaction, doesn't mean the medicine isn't safe for treatment of illnesses.

Antibiotics are a class of drug that has a lot of side effects in a lot of people. Insomnia is not considered an "unsafe" side effect. Almost all antibiotic side effects go away when the drug is stopped.

You can be sensitive to many antibiotics, despite millions of people being able to take them without side effects. It is a very individual reaction. And if you have a reaction, you simply do not take that particular antibiotic again. Also, there are some illnesses that are now becoming antibiotic resistant. You may have no effect from an antibiotic--but other people may be helped by them.

It's not the fault of the FDA. It's your doctor that is responsible for monitoring your reaction,and YOUR responsibility for telling any physician who prescribes an antibiotic or any other drug of your past adverse reactions to it.

Drugs come to market after extensive testing, and usually this is testing done BY the FDA AFTER the drug company has petitioned for it--which is AFTER they have done their own testing. Can you trust them? It's up to you. But what are your alternatives? You could buy drugs from foreign drug companies and you won't know ANYthing about their testing methods--you can take the drugs your doctor tells you to take without letting him know that you had a reaction in the past, or you can refuse to take any drugs and hopefully you won't die from a minor infection. In the USA, you have really only the one choice--and that is to be your own advocate for your own health and let your doctor know about your reactions, and trust what is out there on the market--because there aren't any alternative drugs available. The next time you get a prescribed drug from anywhere, read the entire insert that comes with the medicine. Ask the pharmacist to give it to you if you don't automatically get it. And pay attention to what is considered an "acceptable" side effect for that drug and what is not. Almost every drug on the market has some side effect--it's totally up to you whether or not you take it.

You can also look on the FDA website for any warnings, recalls, or cautions regarding everything they monitor--drugs, food and medical devices, as well as over-the-counter items. They publish all their findings.

The authentic prescribing infomration for Vicodin says "the ordinary grownup dosage is one or 2 capsules each 4 to 6 hours as wanted for discomfort. The complete everyday dosage will have to now not exceed eight capsules." Both hydrocodone (the opioid narcotic) and acetaminophen (APAP) final four-6 hours in such a lot folks. Taking an excessive amount of acetaminophen may end up in liver toxicity however mostly this handiest happens as a result of persistent prime dose use (eg., taking 6,000 mg/day) or from extreme acute acetaminophen poisoning (formally a 'poisonous' (however now not always deadly) dose of acetaminophen is outlined as 10,000 or extra). Even taking the highest everyday dose of acetaminophen (four,000 mg/day divided into doses no higher than a million,000 mg at a time) is in general riskless while performed chronically. Did your healthcare professional write how by and large you'll take the cure? You obviously will have to explain how a lot and the way by and large your healthcare professional meant so that you can take. Also do not be too hesitant to take Vicodin if you want it. It is obviously satisfactory to take as low as viable however whilst you do want it (so long as you're now not exceeding the prescribed quantity) it's satisfactory to take it and controlling the discomfort early as soon as it begins will have to aid decrease the severity and length of the discomfort.

• Sue B

The way things are, don't you think it's NOT cool to believe in any Federal things? I do not find them to be safe or reliable. From rumors in CA back in the 70's, it was said they, the FDA put out some sort of water pill and or had doctors giving them to the gay population. These pills caused AIDS. The FDA will be told what to put out on the market by the Head of Federal and it's probably how they have plans to decrease the poor population.

If you are not currently taking any other medications at the time and you are having these problems still than I would look up (google) the name of the medication and see if it is still on the market. If it isn't than you may have a lawsuit. They have class action lawsuits all the time for different medications. And if it is still on the market than you may have had an allergic reaction to it.

No I would not depend on them too much myself. They are in charge of allot of things but they also have problems with them as the years go by and people start having reactions from them.

So please look into it and also bring it to your Dr.'s attention.

• Tink

I have no idea what fool told you they couldn't cause side effects because they were FDA approved.

What that means for an antibiotic is that it kills bacteria.

Source(s): Someone sure sounds like a paranoid schizophrenic, or a conspiracy theorist.

that's the problem. all the us regulatory bodies are owned by the respective industries.