Why do people pretend 2 believe in God when we all know its s bunch of Hibbety Jibbety?

It's all a lie. You know it!

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It is a matter of throwing good money after bad. Basically, they spent time 'believing' and facing with doubt, rationalize their past belief in order to not lose the 'initial investment' and admit they were wrong.

Of course, this is just like investing in Lehman Brothers or Enron on the day they go bankrupt, but religious people are not always very rational.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I have no doubt that some people do, and for all sorts of reasons. In Islamic countries if they said that they were no longer Muslims they would incur the death sentence - a pretty good reason for keeping quiet. Others may belong to a culture highly connected with religion; a Jew, a Greek Orthodox, or an Amish might pretend to believe in God to stay connected with their community. Others might do it to keep the peace with family members.

All that is true, but it also works the other way round. Some people might pretend to be atheists if they are in with a group who ridicule theists. If you discuss all the reasons why belief in God is not logical it can be hard to say "I believe though I cannot justify it logically". I know this because it took me a long time to come out as a theist to work colleagues

Source(s): personal experience
  • JW625
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Are there sound reasons for believing in God?

Ps. 19:1: “The heavens are declaring the glory of God; and of the work of his hands the expanse is telling.”

Ps. 104:24: “How many your works are, O Jehovah! All of them in wisdom you have made. The earth is full of your productions.”

Rom. 1:20: “His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made.”

New Scientist magazine said: “The lay view persists—of scientists having ‘disproved’ religion. It is a view that commonly expects scientists to be nonbelievers; that Darwin put the last nails in God’s coffin; and that a succession of scientific and technological innovations since have ruled out the possibility of any resurrection. It is a view that is wildly wrong.”—May 26, 1977, p. 478.

A member of the French Academy of Sciences stated: “Natural order was not invented by the human mind or set up by certain perceptive powers. . . . The existence of order presupposes the existence of organizing intelligence. Such intelligence can be none other than God’s.”—Dieu existe? Oui (Paris, 1979), Christian Chabanis, quoting Pierre-Paul Grassé, p. 94.

Scientists have identified over 100 chemical elements. Their atomic structure displays an intricate mathematical interrelationship of the elements. The periodic table points to obvious design. Such amazing design could not possibly be accidental, a product of chance.

Illustration: When we see a camera, a radio, or a computer, we readily acknowledge that it must have been produced by an intelligent designer. Would it be reasonable, then, to say that far more complex things—the eye, the ear, and the human brain—did not originate with an intelligent Designer?

Source(s): The Bible; jw.org
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

FEAR keeps them cowering... ;)

Bertrand Russell: There is something feeble and a little contemptible about a man who cannot face the perils of life without the help of comfortable myths.

Almost inevitably some part of him is aware that they are myths and that he believes them only because they are comforting.

But he dares not face this thought!

Moreover, since he is aware, however dimly, that his opinions are not rational, he becomes furious when they are disputed.

~

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

We know God is who He claims to be because He’s done what He said He would do. That’s the whole point of prophecy and why studying it is so important to us. It’s God authenticating Himself.

For 6000 years He’s been describing things before they happened, so when they did His people would know that He was telling us the truth. Everything He said would happen in the past has happened, so it makes sense to believe that everything He said would happen in the future will happen.

There are over 135 historically verified, fulfilled prophecies in the first 35 verses of Daniel chapter 11 alone. God called King Cyrus of Persia by name in Isaiah 44:24-45:6 as His agent for freeing the Israelites from Babylon 150 years before the event. Daniel 9:25 prophesied Jesus' entry into Jerusalem on what would be the first Palm Sunday, 483 years to the day after the decree to rebuild Jerusalem was given by King Artaxerxes Longimanus of Persia. The decree was given in 445BC. The prophecy was given in 535BC, 90 years earlier.

There are over 300 Old Testament prophecies, all of them a matter of public record hundreds of years before the fact, predicting the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus the Christ. The abundance and specificity of these prophecies demolish any notion of chance, exceed the requirements of statistical analysis, and prove more conclusively than any other fact of history that Jesus is the Son of God. In fact there is more hard evidence to prove that He is Who He claims to be, than there is that you are who you claim to be.

This is the unique and truly beautiful thing about the Bible. It stands alone among the so-called Holy Writings of the world, in its self-validating ability. Only the Bible tells the future with 100% accuracy. God knew we would be skeptical, unbelieving children. So early on, He began telling us things in advance of their occurrence so when what He said came true, we would be willing to believe Him. In this way we can be assured that our faith is justified.

In fact in Isaiah 44:6-8 God challenged anyone who claimed to be like Him to a two part test.  Part 1 is to accurately recount the past and part two is to accurately proclaim the future. Only God, who knows the end from the beginning  can do this.

Anyone who will put aside their pre-conceived notions and undertake an unbiased study of Old Testament prophecy can prove God’s existence beyond a shadow of doubt within a few hours. As God had Isaiah write, “I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me.   I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come.” (Isaiah 46:9-10)  No other so-called deity can make that claim.

When you study Bible Prophecy and World History side by side it doesn’t require much faith at all to believe the Bible. The evidence in fulfilled prophecy is just too overwhelming. But don’t take my word for this, try it for yourself. The truth converts emotion to logic, adds knowledge to zeal, and makes your faith unshakable. Someday soon that kind of faith might well come in handy.

Check this out for more: http://gracethrufaith.com/selah/the-bibles-authori...

This one's a real mind boggler: http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/panin.htm

And here's a rational look at God and science: http://www.thebereancall.org/node/3884

• tips
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction."

The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God".

• 8 years ago

Why do people deny the absolute reality that God exists?

• 8 years ago

Some people need something to believe in, I guess.

"Jimmy, it's okay, Grandma's in heaven now."

or

"Sorry Jimmy, Grandma's ceased to exist and/or is in a state on non-existance."

• 8 years ago

well not everyone knows it and some people would rather think there is someone up there watching their back all the time. whether or not it's real isn't any concern to me.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

"we all know its s bunch of Hibbety Jibbety"

Do you really? Well bully for you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.