tom asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

What is the hebrew word for discipline and how do you write it?

Update:

I mean the word as used in the Jewish holy books, the torah (if thats what it is called??) as used in the book of the Proverbs. Is that "ancient" hebrew???

(also, do they speak hebrew in Israel, like an official language??)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

משמעת = discipline, obedience, hearing

דיסציפלינה = discipline

ציות = obedience, discipline

מרות = authority, mastery, discipline, obedience, rule

verb

למשמע = discipline

לחנך למשמעת = discipline

Proverbs 1:1-3

The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel: for attaining wisdom and discipline; for understanding words of insight; for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair;

Proverbs 1:7

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Proverbs 3:11-13

My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in. Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding,

Proverbs 5:11-13

At the end of your life you will groan, when your flesh and body are spent. You will say, "How I hated discipline! How my heart spurned correction! I would not obey my teachers or listen to my instructors.

Proverbs 5:22-23

The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him; the cords of his sin hold him fast. He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly.

Proverbs 6:23

For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life,

Proverbs 10:17

He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.

Proverbs 12:1

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid

Proverbs 13:18

He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored.

Proverbs 13:24

He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Proverbs 15:5

A fool spurns his father's discipline, but whoever heeds correction shows prudence.

Proverbs 15:10

Stern discipline awaits him who leaves the path; he who hates correction will die.

Proverbs 15:32

He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.

Proverbs 19:18

Discipline your son, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to his death.

Proverbs 22:15

Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.

Proverbs 23:13

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die.

Proverbs 23:23

Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding.

Proverbs 29:17

Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul.

Source(s): Hebrew is spoken in Israel. It is one of the official languages. See this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Israel
  • 8 years ago

The Hebrew word for discipline is משמעת.

The Jewish book is Torah, which is part of the Tanakh. (The Tanakh (תנ"ך) contains 3 parts - Torah (תורה), Nevi'im (נביאים) and Ctuvim (כתובים)).

There is ancient Hebrew, which is what's written in the Tanakh, and there is modern Hebrew, which is what people speak in Israel. And yes, Hebrew is the official language of Israel.

• Merc
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The word used in Proverbs is /moosar/ (מוסר). (In Modern Hebrew this word has a different meaning: morals/ethics.)

/moosar/ is the kind of teaching that carries a negative connotation (e.g., learning from mistakes, criticism, rebukes, or punishments). "To discipline" (in English) too carries this negative connotation. In contrast, /hokhma/ (widsom) or /haskel/ is the kind of teaching that carries a positive connotation.

The other answerers said the word is /mishma'at/ (משמעת). It means obedience. It's not the word used in Proverbs.

• 4 years ago

What are you looking to uncover out or accomplish by way of this random sampling of verses? Are you looking to uncover explanations not to receive the God of the Bible or get away the truth that you're wholly dependable and in charge to Him for the best way you reside your lifestyles? Are you simply searching for an reply however have no idea simply what the truly query is? Are you looking to make a declaration approximately your situation that a few matters within the Bible simply do not look proper to you and to this point no one has given you any cause to consider in any other case? To simply seize a scripture right here and there with out rhyme or cause proves not anything and at satisfactory is simplest complicated to those people who are looking to make feel of your query. There is way more to the Bible than mere conjecture approximately a scattered verse or organization of verses right here and there. Let me provide you a rule of thumb when you wish to realize the Bible. You have got to realize what isogesis is. Isogesis is taking all of the verses related to one discipline and inspecting them in combination to assess what they're all pronouncing. In addition, you might additionally have got to take them from the time interval they're being written and to whom they're written so you'll realize what precisely is happening. Further you have to recognize the which means of context or taking the previous verses and the verses following the verse you're quoting so you'll get the photograph of simply what precisely is being mentioned. Nothing may also be tested or disproved by way of the procedure or loss of procedure you used for your query considering that an excessive amount of is lacking from the equation. In addition, the ESV and NASB are infrequently riskless supply fabric considering that they pervert the scriptures or even go away out verses or quantities of scripture. The KJV is essentially the most riskless of all of the Bibles to be had. Finally, You say fellow Christians. What precisely do you consider a Christian is? Hebrews 12:6-7 - Simple. Good mom and dad field their youngsters. God is the excellent Father and disciplines his youngsters in love and does it so much greater than any human father. Matthew 15:eleven - Simple. Food is going into the mouth and does not defile the person spiritually. But the phrases that come from the mouth defile the man or woman talking them and those that need to pay attention to his or her phrases as good. Genesis Chapter 19 - This is a list of 2 females collaborating in sinful habits. Just considering that it's recorded in scripture does not imply God is advocating what they're doing. The tale is an illustration of what must now not have occurred. If you comply with the strains that descend from the ones pregnancies you might see that what springs from their sin prompted plenty of pointless affliction of their descendants. Ezekiel 23:19-20 - More unhealthy illustration. God permits those experiences in order that we will be able to be trained from them the mistake of folks that participated in sin. Follow the outcome of the sin and you're going to see the apparent warnings to abstain from same habits. Judges and Deuteronomy verses are from corrupted texts so I might omit them and uncover the real rendering of the verses earlier than you keep looking to realize them. Same for the Genesis 38 verses. Deuteronomy 23:one million-two - You have got to realize the verse inside context. These 2 verse is not going to stand on my own. eleven Kings 18:27 - Again - you have got to realize the verse inside context. eleven Kings 6 - I consider that is speaking approximately a time whilst a town used to be underneath seige and men and women have been determined adequate to devour their possess youngsters. Again - it is a topic of context. What is happening on the time and what prompted it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.