High ping, horrible download, decent enough upload...router problem?

Hi folks,

A couple days ago was playing xbox online wired up to my Netgear DG834G router when it started to freeze, Xbox Live became very slow, I got kicked from the game and couldnt find any new games.

I thought this was odd so I went onto my laptop which is connected wirelessly to the same router and I found the internet was extremely slow to the point it wouldn't even run speed tests at times it would just hang.

I checked with 2 other laptops and same problem there too.

Tracert returned pings of 500+ms (between 500 and 700ms) over all but the first one which was my laptop to the router.

When I finally managed a speedtest I got 0.04Mbps download and 0.36Mbps upload speeds.

I have rebooted the router a few times to no effect. I have also reset the router to factory settings and reset it up and I'm getting the exact same problem. I have scanned all my laptops too although the fact that my wired xbox was suffering too I didn't expect that to be the problem.

My question is this: Is this likely to be my router just on the blink or my ISP (AOL) problem? I was thinking router as my pings in all the Tracert were all very high. I have had the router for many years.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Favorite Answer

Tracert is telling you the ping time between you and the second hop -- your ISP -- is over a half a second. Contact your ISP. They will be able to help you troubleshoot the problem.

properly, Christians look to think of that the government can create a tension-field or something that keeps "him" out of the faculties and different places. the two that, or "he" has no potential over a chew of legislations. astounding huh?