Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 8 years ago

Could someone explain to me what a tablet is?

I've seen them and heard about them, but I have no idea what they're used for or what their features are. Could someone give me a run-down on what they're used for and why I'd want one?

Favorite Answer

Imagine if you had a laptop, took the touch screen off and laid it flat on top of the rest of the unit and lost a little bit of the height then bingo you have a tablet. Some early GRiD laptops were the first to do this where you could fold the screen down over the keyboard as could you with the slightly later Samsung Izzy netbook. There's some current laptops like that around now.

At the moment tablets run on the Apple or the Android system but soon you'll see them with Windows 8 and they'll have a more familiar look and feel to Windows users. Apart from live broadcast TV presenters having their script on a tablet I've not seen a really good use for them. Call me cynical but sitting on the train with a tablet whilst playing with your tablet and listening to cool sounds through your Dr Dre Beats headphones seems to be more a poseur statement than useful. You can think of a tablet as a small keyboardless laptop or as a large smartphone, they're somewhere in between. "Do I need one?" is a question you have to ask yourself.

It is basically a computing device that is operated with a touch screen rather than keyboard/mouse, or other devices. Many tablets also have position sensors.

Tablets these days are almost always some variant of an ARM core processor, compared to the x86 or x64 class processors of desktop and laptop PCs.

Most often they are used for media consumption, gaming (touch invented a paradigm)., and some social networking/communication.

Because of their size, they can be used for all sorts of task specific programming. For instance, I have some apps related to my being a musician and sound engineer,

Not unusual, are apps to use a tablet as a remote control for larger systems, such as home theater systems.

From Wikipedia:

A tablet computer, or a tablet, is a mobile computer, larger than a mobile phone or personal digital assistant, integrated into a flat touch screen and primarily operated by touching the screen rather than using a physical keyboard. ...

In 2010, Apple released the iPad, which used the operating system and touch screen technology similar to that used in their iPhone and became the first mobile computer tablet to achieve worldwide commercial success. This has sparked a new market for tablet computers and a variety of other manufacturers have produced versions of their own including Samsung, HTC, Motorola, RIM, Sony, Amazon, HP, Microsoft, Archos and many others. Competing tablets use a variety of operating systems, although the main contenders are iOS (Apple), Android (Google), Windows (Microsoft) and QNX (RIM).

In 2012 31% of U.S. Internet users were reported to have a tablet, which was used mainly for consuming published content such as video and news.

Typical functions of tablet computers in 2012 are:

Wireless mobile browser functions (using 2G,3G,4G or WiFi)

E-mail and social media devices (typically with integration apps to bring all feeds into the same view)

Potential cell phone functions (Messaging, video calling, speakerphone or headset cellphone uses)

GPS satellite navigation

Stills and video camera functions, photo and video viewing and editing

E-book reading (including electronic versions of periodicals)

Downloadable apps (games, education, utilities)

Portable media player function

Weigh around one or two pounds (0.5 - 1 kilogram)

Battery life of three to twelve hours depending on usage pattern.

_

well if its an android tablet does the same thing as android phone but bigger and on some of them u cant call but many people mainly play games on them and there fun to listen to music :)