Ns asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

My neighbour's GSD escaped and came to my yard?

I own a 2 year old german shepherd male, and my neighbour has a 4 year old male german shepherd also, his dog is quite bigger but a lot thinner then mine. He is a junkyard dog, the neighbour is out and about most of the day and some nights, the dog chained most of the day and usually free during the night so he can ''protect'' his cars and semis... The dog is quite vicious because my neighbour beats him with a leash so ''he could hate people and associate them with pain, that's what makes a true guard dog'' he says... idiot

Anyway yesterday his dog managed to escape jumping over a 6 feet fence and came to my house, then jumped over my own 6 feet fence. I was horrified since he was supposed to be a mean junkyard dog, but the dog in fact turned out to be a big softie - he proceeded to play with my dog and then ate all his food ( he is probably starving, his ribs are showing and the owner feeds him every other day when he visits) He won't be back for another 2 days so I can't return his dog until then ( I can't get into his junkyard unless I jump over the fence), so what am I supposed to do?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Call animal control and tell them exactly what the owner has done to this dog.

When I was a kid my mom fostered a doberman that had been in a similar boat. The owner had beaten her mercilessly trying to turn her into a vicious junkyard dog, all mean and nasty like his other dobes. He finally gave up and threw her out of his pickup on the highway. Poor thing had permanent massive scarring all over herbody and she was the sweetest dog. I have a hunch his other dobes were also reasonable dogs away from him and his property.

People like him are clueless. This dog probably wouldn't defend his property from anything, it hasn't even been correctly trained. I used to know a guy who trained bird dogs by severely abusing them, twisting their ears around his keys and stuff until they did what they were told. All he managed to do was ruin the dogs.

Call animal control and hand the dog over. Now he'll be on the radar and you can report any further abuse.

Ditto on the animal shelter. If you're worried about him being put down, drop him off at a no kill shelter. If you not, maybe a family member or friend can take him (even if temporarily). Make sure nobody has seen you with the dog or he might confront you. How well do you know him? Another thing, when the guy comes to pick up his dog, maybe buy the dog off him? The dog is obviously very friendly and is now a 'useless guard dog'. Although, that might save the dog's life the idiot might get another dog :/

Poor guy, beating a dog turns it into a nervous wreck, not a good guard dog >:( Police K9s aren't beaten, schutzhund dogs aren't beaten and personal protection dogs aren't beaten. At the rate he's going the dog will one day have enough and decide to defend himself and end up being out down. Good luck.

Depends if you have somewhere to keep it safe until then and feed it. If your dogs get along then both properties will be safer. Tell him that his dog probably jumped over because it was hungry and lonely and that even though people told you to report it you didn't because you wanted to give the dog a chance.... as you've got one of the same breed.

But if you have nowhere to keep it or if it might jump right out onto the street then you'll have to report it to the Animal Control people now.

You call animal control out to see the condition of the dog and explain to them about how the dog is chained all day and only fed every other day.

Call animal police. You KNOW this man abuses his dog and doesn't properly take care of him. Personally I'd call the police and try to be the one that adopted him after the whole process was over.

• ?

I would call animal control, let them know the condition of the dog, how he is treated and they will remove him and place him in a good home like he deserves.

Thanks for caring about this dog.