My firs time machine backup is taking forever. In fact, more than forever, is this usual?

I thought about backing up my macbook, so I bought a 1TB HDD.

My macbook is partitioned via Bootcamp, so the mac part is only about 100GB(which is pathetic..)

I partitioned the HDD 500gb for backup and 500gb for storage, and began Time machine.

The problem is, it just takes forever. It was getting ready for some 4 hours, and I thought maybe that was natural since it was my first time. Then it began backup indexing, which is currently still going on for more than some 5 hours.

I've heard that first backups take long, but god, there's only 100GB. I'm supposing there's some kind of an error here. Or is this natural, even for a pathetic 100GB drive?

Favorite Answer

Yes. It will take hours as it indexes and catalogues everything. Best to leave it to run overnight. Once it has done the first one subsequent backups take mere minutes.

it isn't unusual for the 1st backup to take longer than usual especially with large hd's

Source(s): tech 30+yrs