Do any South Americans have fundraiser car washes to bury their dead like U.S. citizens do?

I'm doing research on other countries that do car wash fundraisers to be able to afford to burry their dead. I'm from California, U.S.A.

• M P A
    Favorite Answer

I don't know of any country where people have to do that. It sounds dreadful. Here in the U.K. people either save for their own funeral, buy it in advance (which is probably the cheapest option for those who can) or, if they've saved nothing, and family cannot afford to pay for it, their funeral is paid for by the local authority (it used to be known as a paupers funeral). It is still dignified and correct but no fancy frills about it.

I feel really sad now reading that some people cannot bury their dead until they've earned the money to pay for it. This must prolong the grieving process dreadfully and leave the family unable to get back to any sense of normality for quite some time.

• Derail

I never heard of car washes to bury people. But I'm not in California either. Most people take their inevitable demise as a personal responsibility and have money and arrangements set aside for their deaths. There are untimely deaths of course, and that can't be helped. But most people would feel badly about burdening others with their final arrangements and so take care of such details before the time arrives.

I've seen so many car washes for donations so that family members can bury their dead my head is spinning. There's one every weekend it seems in Phoenix, Arizona. I don't know about other countries, but from what I've just read from the other answers some haven't heard of this. I've heard of a State fund that helps such people.

I just found this link. Sounds like the cost of burying the dead is not just a US problem. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2217219/Fu...

• Why bother?

If you don't bury them, someone wll have to.

Let them do it and save yourself the cash.

I have no family or relatives, so when I die I don't give a damn what they do with me.

They can use me as a scarecrow in a field for all I care.

• ?

People do what they have to do. Contrary to popular opinion, not everyone who needs assistance with burial costs is able to get it.

• Kira

Wow , I have never heard of this , it points out how expensive funerals have become.

• Snid

This may have happened somewhere but it most certainly NOT the normal thing.

• Bob

Honestly, I have never heard of this, even in the USA..