luc asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

cat choked, I panicked and could only think to shake her to help?

my cat was choking on food last night, I let her try to get it up herself, then a few more moments passed so I kind of jolted her to try and dislodge it. It didn't work, still choking. It seemed like it was getting serious, unlike other times that she's choked when she would have got it out by then.

I didn't know what to do, so I picked her up and shook her a few times -still choking. I then shook her a few more times because I didn't know what else to do.

Don't tell me I'm a horrible person for doing this. I love my cat and panicked. After I shook her the second time, I put her down and the thing came out and she stopped choking. She seemed to be okay, ate more dinner and drank water and milk.

I'm afraid I caused her harm by shaking her, because of shaken baby syndrome or something. I'm afraid I caused damage to her brain or something like that. I couldn't have shaken her with too much force because I'm a small person and was mindful to not hurt her much at the time. I suffer from an anxiety disorder so I throw things out of proportion and I'm really feeling dreadful today about it.

Anyway, she is showing no signs of brain damage. But I took her to the vet today because I saw her digging holes to pee and not peeing. The vet said she has a urinary tract infection and gave antibiotics. He said the infection is not related to me shaking her last night.

Would someone knowledgeable tell me if I could have hurt her brain or not. I don't know. I'm very agitated at the moment because I don't want to have hurt my cat trying to save her life.

Thank you for your words, you made me feel a lot better.

While it is possible to cause your cat issues by shaking them, please do not beat yourself up over this.

Just ask yourself, what if I didn't and she died? How woudl I feel then knowing I could've saved her and didn't?

Just for comparison, my daughter who was only about 2 at the time, took a piece of grandma's hard candy out of the candy bowl. We were riding in the car, and she started to choke. She must have bit the candy and it shot down her throat.

She started choking and could not dislodge it, I was slapping her on the back (no effectiveness), my mother in law, grabbed her and hung her upside down and shook her quite a few times and it popped out of her throat. I believe she saved her life.

You really can't go through life with these type thoughts. When faced with a decision like that, you have to make it quickly and then do what is necessary. Don't look back.

To be honest i might of beat the **** out of the different dogs if that exceeded off to me. exceptionally if the acquaintances dogs crawled under my fence purely to attack my dogs. Your dad did the magnificent concern. Yuh, the acquaintances dogs might have been knowledgeable, yet for sure no longer knowledgeable adequate to nicely known whats a risk. additionally, who the hell leaves their dogs outdoors whilst they do no longer look to be domicile? it somewhat is yet another concern that makes me mad approximately this tale. finally, DONT pay. If something bypass to courtroom. Your neighbor doesnt prefer to simply by fact theres a reasonably stable danger he will lose.