Problem with my Laptop speakers?

I have newish laptop (HP Pavilion g6) which I bought around 8 months ago. Started having a problem recently where I hear this crackling sound from the speakers whenever any audio is played, weather music or Skype. When I plug in the headphones, the sound is crystal clear. I have gone to the Driver section of the sound card (from Device Manager) and upon checking, it says that everything is working properly and the sound card has the latest/best driver installed.

Is there anything else I'm over-looking or is this simply a hardware fault i.e either the internal wiring or the speakers themselves?

-Many Thanks

Favorite Answer

It sounds like a hardware fault, but without more details it would be hard to diagnose.

First I would load the most recent sound card driver. if this doesn't clear things up a suggestion is to use external speakers, which is what I do because laptop speakers aren't powerful enough for my needs.

Source(s): tech 30+yrs