fuyeta asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 8 years ago

Am i to late for ballet? for pointe shoes?

Im 16 years old and my dream has always been to become a pointe dancer. My mom always thought it was somthing i made up and that it was normal like when little girls wanted to become princesses. But iv had this disire to become a ballet dancer for like ever. So i told my mom i was serious bout this im 16 and i know what i want. My question is is it too late for me to start ballet at age 16? And if i want to become a porfessional pointe dancer is it too late for me? People say it dapends some people are luky. But i wamt a straight up answer. Yes or no? Please answer Thank you.

Favorite Answer

You want a straight up answer and here it is. Yes for recreational ballet and No for a ballet career.

Recreational dance is for anyone of any age. There is no reason, barring any physical problems why you cannot learn ballet and eventually learn to dance en pointe. In general it takes about three years of taking three 90 minute classes a week to be ready for pointe work. Students looking for a ballet career take longer as they are held to a higher standard before they can go en pointe. That is not to say that there aren't some bad schools and bad teachers who put students up before they are ready putting them at great risk for injury. Unfortunately anyone can call themselves a ballet teacher with little or poor training. Find yourself a good teen or adult beginner ballet class and start enjoying ballet. Make sure there are sprung or floating floors to dance on and that your teachers are well qualified to teach ballet. If you live near a professional ballet company, often they have open adult classes at their school. They tend to be cheaper than smaller dance studios and you can be sure of getting good training.

However, You are too late for a professional ballet career. Most people have no clue what it takes to become a professional dancer. First you must be born with the body, facility and musicality for a ballet career. Only 2% of the population is born with what is required and no amount of training no matter how young you start can change that. Then you need professional training at a world class ballet academy (most often a feeder school to a top professional ballet company) that would screen you for being in the 2% or you couldn't train there. They will not take an untrained or under trained dancer over the age of 10 even if they have all the gifts for dance. For boys it is different as they don't dance en pointe and have different requirements in the ballet.They can and do start later. There have been the rare occasion over the past 50-60 years where they have taken a beginner female dancer of extraordinary talent and gifts at the ripe old age of 12 or 13. You could count them on one hand and still have fingers left over. Dances on track for a professional ballet career dorm at their ballet academies if they don't live close. The are either home schooled or get their academics as arranged by their ballet academies. They do this so they can take 20-30 hours of technique classes a week year round and graduate high school early to dance in the ballet. Training is supposed to be complete at age 16 when a student, if lucky enough to be chosen would apprentice with the ballet company and join as corps de ballet about 6 months later. There are many students who have all the gifts and who train at top ballet academies who do not reach the professional ranks. There are so few jobs. It takes 10 years to "make a leg" in ballet. If you could get the right training, which would not be made available to someone of your age, you would be ready about the time most dancers start thinking about retiring from the ballet.

That being said, who says you have to get paid to enjoy dance? Ballet careers don't pay well and are over in a flash. Dance for the Joy of dance and dance can always be a part of your life.

Source(s): My daughter is a professional dancer. I worked for NYCB (New York City Ballet)
  • Nancy

Too late, I'm afraid. At least, to become a professional dancer. Girls who have started taking ballet at the age of 5 ~ 8 who wanted to become professionals, will already be dancing in a company (at least part time). You'll need at least 3 or 4 years of dedicated work before you can even go on pointe, and then you'll have to spend another few years mastering pointe. Companies hardly ever recruit girls that old for the corps de ballet (where you'll start off). However, you are definitely NOT too old to start learning dance! Find a good, reputable school and have fun learning! Not all dancers have to become professionals in order to have a fulfilling dance career. I wish you the best of luck~

• -5678-

My answer is on your other question. :) HAHA good luck again :)