Better safe then sorry?

Just recently while my family was in our apartment we hear loud explosions in the street. Being a long time airsofter and watching years worth of training videos, I went prone on the ground and began to crawl to cover without thinking. I looked outside and saw my little sister looking out the window seeing what it was. I saw multiple flashes with continuous back and forth explosions. My Dad was kneeling down a little and when they saw me crawling he rushed to my sister and had us go to the bathroom. 5 minutes later the explosions stopped. During the whole time we were all afraid for our lives and thought we would die. I do not own a firearm and was shaking because I had no way to defend myself since if someone came in, we were too far away to from the door to attack. Its turns out after calling 911, the local school near us accidently had fireworks go off in the street. My family then becomes angry at me because since I am the only firearm enthusiast in the home, my dad and sister not wanting a gun in the home, they said I should know the difference between fireworks and gunshots. So was it appropriate that I ducked for cover and reacted the way I did even though I didnt know what the explosions were or should I have done something different? I live in California as well.

Favorite Answer

I live on a military base, a few miles from an artillary range. There are all kinds of bombs, mortars, and gunshots that go off on that range, all of them withiin earshot. Sometimes they go all day and all night, and sometimes they are loud enough to actually rattle the house.

There have been a few times where they set off some major artillary, which almost sounds like actual bombs being dropped in my yard. Even though I KNOW what they are and where they're coming from, and even though I KNOW they're not actually going to hit us, there have been a few times I've heard a big boom and my windows shake and I drop and cover.

So, no, I don't think you were being unreasonable. My husband has PTSD (and has actually been shot) and he occassionally startles at the sound of a car misfiring or a loud shout. There's a lot of things that sound like gunshots. And FWIW, the artillary that hits the range near our house does sound a lot like fireworks at times. Especially the machine guns. Those sound like those loud popping firecrackers.

Why are you living in California? It's not safe there because of earthquakes, forest fires and tsunamis. Move to Nebraska, where nothing ever happens!

If you say so.