Why does my left wrist hurt so bad?

For the past week my left wrist has really bad. About where it bends inline with my pointer finger at some points and at others right in the middle. I've been playing my flute a lot, getting ready for an audition. But i wanna say it hurt before that. I can't move it with out hurting it. I can rub it and then When i can get to the point of bending and rub it and there's this knot. Every time I find it, I push hard on it and rub and it feels so much Better only for it to hurt 5 minutes later. It pops a lot too. Is it hurting because of me practicing my flute? Or something else? What can I do to stop it?

Favorite Answer

There are a number of reasons that your wrist may be hurting. It could be an injury that's unrelated to the flute or it could be a direct result of over practicing or poor hand position. Repetitive stress injuries can be painful and they will not go away until you give the injury time to heal. I'd suggest the following:

1 - See a doctor. With a few simple tests he/she will be able to isolate the muscle or tendon that is causing you pain. These types of problems are typically treated with a brace or a splint. You may or may not be able to play with the splint, however, if you continue to practice without support it's likely that the pain will progress to the point where you will not be able to play your audition at all.

2 - Go over your hand position with a flute teacher. If you don't have a private flute teacher, see if you can find one that would be willing to consult with you for one or two sessions. Poor hand position will lead to many problems but it can be fixed with a little effort and guidance.

Pain is your body's signal that something is wrong. Don't ignore it because it seldom goes away on it's own.

Good luck.

Source(s): Owner: http://www.flutemonkey.com/

It could be from practicing flute with the wrong hand position. Your wrists should be straight when you play and keep as little bend on the first joint closest to your hand on your left index finger as possible. I'd get a wrist brace to keep the joint from moving much and it will also keep your wrist in proper playing position when you play flute. I also recommend you see a doctor to make sure you don't have carpal tunnel syndrome or something. Good luck and good health!

Source(s): I became a better flute player after I sprained my wrist and had to wear a brace! =]
  • Mary

Lady b, There has to be something wrong, I have auto-immune diseases and all of a sudden without any accident my right foot began to be painful, i thought it would probably go away but it continued to hurt, then swell, I made an appt. with my orthopedic doc. and he found 3 what he called stress fractures, I could not believe it, so i think i would get some x-rays of ur wrist. It could also be carpal tunnel syndrome which happens with repeated same movements cause tangled nerves. I would see a doc. Good Luck