Should I apply with a major or undeclared? (CSU and UC colleges)?

I'm working on my applications for a couple Cal State and UC's, and I've been trying to decide what to major in. I'm not sure what I want to do with my life, but I have a few interests. I want to declare a major because I would like to get started taking classes in my major as soon as possible. However, I don't know if this is a bad idea. Is it better to go undeclared and get more GE classes out of the way before picking a major? I feel like in order for me to figure out what I want to do, I need to take classes in a certain major and see if it fits me or not.

Basically, I have no idea what to do. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

• JQuick
    Favorite Answer

It's better to go to community college in California when you are undecided about a major. Then you can take some courses to help you decide. It's much better to transfer later to a school that is good at your selected major than it is to accidentally pick a school that doesn't even offer it or has a poor program for it. It's much more difficult, almost impossible, to transfer between UCs or CSUs once you start attending one. But you actually get the highest priority for admissions if you transfer from a community college after completing the requirements with a high GPA.

• cookie

You can always change your major. I'm a senior in high school and am applying for colleges too, but I already know my major. If i didn't know what major I wanted to do, I think I'd go undecided unless you have a slight idea of what you want to get into. When you go undecided, you CAN change your major later on. If you're just taking regular classes, you'll probably get the feel of what you like sooner or later, and afterwards you can change your major. And if you do declare one, you can also change it to something else. If you have any financial issues, you can always go to community college to decide what you want to do without having to pay so much.

The con about declaring one is that you're unsure and you might be stuck with it. You can change it, of course, but you'd be stuck in the sense that you might feel obligated to complete it if you already started taking classes for a specific major. Idk. The pro is that you can plan ahead and all that stuff you mentioned.

• Mike

Apply under the major that you are currently most interested in. If you ever change your mine you can just switch majors. Contrary to what the other guy said, it is very easy to transfer from UC to CSU or UC to UC than it is from CC.

If I had been you, i might suck it up and go to a community school. Yeah, you could fail to notice the enjoyable of tuition, but really, you'll be able to be saving so much time and effort, plus you get guaranteed transfer to usa, and for those who keep your grades up you would get into la or berkeley. And if you happen to cannot relatively have the funds for a uc correct now, might be you will have to get a job even as you are at neighborhood school and saving.