Gifts on my personal taxes?

When I file my personal tax return how do gift work. Lets say I write my friends and family checks. Can I deduct them from my taxes? Do I get thy money back? How does it work?

Favorite Answer

Gift to family or friends are not deductible - I am not sure where you got that idea

• Judy

NO you can't deduct them. A gift is not deductible. Nobody'd pay any tax if that were the case, would they - we'd just all write each other gift checks. Think about it.

If you give any one person over $13,000 in a year, you have to file a gift tax return in addition to your income tax, and might owe an ADDITIONAL tax.

If it is less than 13k per person you do nothing. If it is more you file a gift tax return which can be separate from your own return. Gifts are not tax deductible. If you give enough over your lifetime they can be taxable to you.

No, you can't deduct it. No, you don't get your money back.

If you give any one person over $13,000, then you also have to pay gift tax. If each person gets under $13,000, then there are no tax implications.

• tro

what money back? if you have no income to report(and gifts are not income) there is nothing to file a tax return for and there absolutely is nothing to refund(nothing was withheld)