Differentiating Between Online Predators and Legitimate People - Help?

So, I guess I should probably provide some background information.

One of my friends, a 17-year-old girl, has been talking to another woman online for about 4 months now. They have never met face-to-face, but the two claim to be dating. The other woman is a 20-year-old living in another state. They met on a Pokemon-related forum, and seemed to click right off the bat. The two want to meet up pretty soon, my friend traveling to her girlfriend's state alone, but I'm feeling a bit concerned for what's going to unfold.

The two have had extensive video conversations on Skype, voice calls, have shared photos, numbers, and all sorts of stuff like that. They've exchanged letters, gifts, etc. We both feel like her girlfriend is a legitimate person who has no sinister intentions, but opinions from outsiders would be much appreciated.

So this leads me to ask, do you guys think that my friend's girlfriend could potentially be a sinister, predatory type?

Favorite Answer

It is complicated, but it is good that you know about this relationship. People who scream "Don't talk to strangers online" drive these relationships underground. Then no one really knows the story. If you could go with your friend when she meets that would be the best.

Another thing you could do is to friend the friend on FB and say you want to know what this internet friend things you should get the girl for X-mas or b-day. Then you could know better.

Also, sometimes these things do dissipate when people meet in person.

I suggest that they meet in an open, public area during the day time while you are present. Anyone on the internet could possibly be a psycho.