doyle asked in SportsRunning · 8 years ago

How to get more flexibility to increase stride length?

Right now I can do a 30 minute stretch routine a day. I can get my finger tips to the ground with out bending my knees. I have the most flexibility in my hamstrings. Less in calves and quads. I want a stretch routine that will increase stride length. I also want to know how much time will it take to get about a 10 improvement with stretching.

• Petero
    Favorite Answer

Calves - you should lift one leg and stretch the other calf (never both at the same time). Lean against a wall and walk down it with your hands - that will stretch your calf. then repeat on the other side.

To stretch your quads - lean against a pole and lift your leg so you can grab your foot. pull with your hand until you feel a stretch in your quad, then push the leg being stretched forwards - repeat.

You should not attempt any stretching though unless you have warmed your muscles up first. (I generally go for a 400 metre slow run first, then I stretch and then I go for whatever exercises have planned for that day).

feel the burn man!

Source(s): I am a 57 year old runner, who goes through the routine regularly.
  • Connor

Stride length isn't based on flexibility.

Stride length is based on physiology (what you cannot change) and basically training. As you increase in running performance your stride will increase. Now you can only increase stride by so much. Then your legs physically can't do anything else.

30 minutes of stretching a day is excessive. You can have muscles, ligaments, and tendons that are too loose and leave you more prone to injury.

Stretch like this only 1-2 times per week.

-Connor

Source(s): Pre Med
  • Jimbo

Stride length is based on how much downward force you push into the ground, which gives you more 'flight' time. But many people make the mistake of over-striding and under-pacing. Your foot should be landing almost directly under your hip while you run. If you over-stride, your foot tends to land further in front which is basically like putting the brakes on, slowing down momentum and wasting energy.

You should be running at about 170-190 steps per minute. Any slower and you are probably over-striding. Most marathoners run at 190 s.p.m. which is most economical if running at a fast pace. But if you do want to increase stride, you should work on leg strength by doing exercises such as squat jumps or hill sprints.

You do not need lengthy strides..The longer you're in the air..The slower you go.. Count your steps when running..You will have to invariably have 180 per minute- regardless of the race or speed