Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 years ago

Are my parents unreasonable?

So for the past two years, I've been struggling with my parents and their unreasonable (in my opinion) punishments and restrictions. The reason they're punishing me is because I smoke weed. They drug test me every couple of months and when I test positive, I'm grounded for a month (no phone, no friends, no skatepark). Also, long term punishments are text restrictions every night at 10pm, computer and wifi restrictions at 10pm, a phone keyword program where if I text certain words it notifies them, and phone tracking. I'm not allowed to take driver's ed. until I pass a hair drug test testing negative for six months. They also took all of my cash, put it in the bank, and gave me a debit card so they can see everything I buy. I'm not allowed to withdraw money and if they find money, I'm grounded. Last spring break we were going to go on a cruise and I wasn't allowed to go because I failed a drug test. I have a job, I don't get in trouble at school often and I have generally good grades (mostly As and Bs).

They seem to think I'm this horrible kid, but I'm really not as bad as they think. If only they met some kids who go to my school. I do see their point of view but they're over-doing it so much. These 2 years til I'm 18 are going to be so long.

I'd like to add (I asked this before, just want more opinions) I haven't smoked for four months because I'm getting tired of not being able to drive, and there was a period of 6 months where I passed all my drug tests. They don't loosen up the restrictions when I don't smoke, so the only benefit now is being able to drive.

Favorite Answer

You really should stop smoking weed, it's bad for your health, but I do think your parents are way too strict! If you haven't smoked in 4 months, they should really ease up. You're old enough to drive, so you're not a little kid. You're almost an adult (or maybe you are legally an adult, either way!). They need to loosen up or they're going to drive you away, and not in your car! (Sorry, had to make that pun :) ) Good luck!

No, i don't consider that's unreasonable. I definitely wouldn't go to this extent if I found out my children smoked pot but your father and mother set out one very simple rule for you and you may have been breaking it many times for years. Their punishments are just a little bit controlling and that i do feel it would be higher if they had some alternative for you to regain some privileges, but they are no longer extreme or amazing specially because the fact that you might have been screwing up for this lengthy. You've given them a lot of motives to act this fashion and do not show up to have made any severe effort to make your lifestyles better/less complicated by using stopping, so it sounds such as you deserve the restrictions.

• .x

No, I don't think that's unreasonable. I certainly wouldn't go to this extent if I found out my kids smoked pot but your parents set out one very simple rule for you and you've been breaking it repeatedly for years.

Their punishments are a little bit controlling and I do think it would be better if they had some option for you to regain some privileges, but they're not extreme or unusual especially considering the fact that you've been screwing up for this long. You have given them plenty of reasons to act this way and don't appear to have made any serious effort to make your life better/easier by stopping, so it sounds like you deserve the restrictions.

They're really tough on you, the only solution is to stop weed. And you need to stop it because it's not healthy, will mess you up in the long run, making your situation worse and its very unattractive. If you keep continuing to do this, your putting your health at risk. Your parents are tough yes, but their not being unreasonable. Weed is illegeal and very wrong to do, your abusing your body. Just stop the weed and the unreasonable punishments will stop as well.

If you keep breaking their trust and smoking weed(something illegal you could get in even bigger trouble for) you expect them to loosen up on you? I don't think they're unreasonable.

• Yahoo

Your parents just want u to stop using drugs

Smoking weed is stupid . Don't do it . & I think once you pass tests they will lighten up .

Dude.... You do drugs.... No wonder your parents are acting that way.

Dude,Im sorry for you they seem really tough

They just want wats best for you.