Can you convert a Toyota Tacoma to 100% electric?

The Nissan LEAF is 100% electric. I've educated myself on hybrids and they're not too good at least according to Penn and Teller, but having a 100% electric car, especially one when I have solar panels at my house, shares none of the problems they brought up during their show.

My preference though is a truck. I always say "if you don't have a truck, you'll need to borrow someone else's eventually", seeing as that you'll need it eventually for furniture and such. Also, having 4 wheel drive nearly guarantees that you'll be able to continue to drive in all types of weather. That makes a 4 door, 4x4 truck pretty much the best all around vehicle for purchase, but I'd love to get an 100% electric one. I prefer Toyota because of their track record of long lasting durable vehicles requiring little maintenance, plus their style.

I know Toyota gave up on their electric truck they were making, so is there any way I can purchase a Toyota Tacoma and just convert it to 100% electric?

Favorite Answer

"Penn and Teller" What on earth makes you think Penn and Teller are authorities on any automotive topic? You're weird!

"you'll need to borrow someone else's eventually" That's why there is U-Haul!

"4 wheel drive nearly guarantees that you'll be able to continue to drive in all types of weather." Uh no. Four wheel drive will not defy the laws of physics no matter what you think.

"That makes a 4 door, 4x4 truck pretty much the best" Nah pretty much the most useless. Need to carry a number of passengers? Buy a mini van. The bed on a four door truck is so small as to be completely useless. Only idiots have them.

"I prefer Toyota because of their track record" Of what? runaway acceleration or the recent recall of over half a million vehicles due to fire hazzard? Rubbish vehicles.

"I can purchase a Toyota Tacoma and just convert it to 100% electric?" For around $10k for the conversion. Then you'll have a 100mi range.

• C7S

Yes. Any car can be converted to 100% electric.

So far I have seen it done with a 1998 Porsche Boxster, 2000 Honda S2000, Delorean(Back to the future car), GMC Jimmy and Chevy S10 pick up trucks, and other cars. These owners do most of the work themselves. It is not cheap. They spend thousands of dollars for this project in batteries and electric motors and custom made parts.

You can convert it but there are many good answers here to explain why you probably do not want to. Penn and Teller are not technical experts, not by a long shot, you know... they are entertainers. Hybrids have become popular for very good reasons but hybrid power trains, like electric power trains, are not good choices for working trucks. For the type of service you are talking about - occasional medium duty hauling, a gasoline engine is a good choice. For towing or lots of heavy hauling diesel is the way to go.

Yes, you can convert any vehicle to electricity. What you spend depends on the kind of vehicle you want to wind up with. Typically you will spend anywhere from $5000 to $20000.

*

Here are two examples of converted Tacomas from evalbum.com (a site where EV hobbyists show off their cars.)

*

http://www.evalbum.com/1687

http://www.evalbum.com/3995

*

According to the owners of these cars, one conversion cost $14,000 and the other one cost $20,000.

*

However you should know that Toyota did NOT give up on their electric RAV4 EV. It's only for sale in test markets - but you can travel to California and buy one today. Its $39,000 after all eligible tax credits.

You might notice that electric cars are designed to be very aerodynamic and to have low rolling resistance. A Tacoma 4x4 has neither. you will need a bed full of batteries to go 50 miles! it is NOT practical for a pick up 4x4. Too much parasitic drag.

• Ian K

You can convert anything to electric, just need a fully equipped machine shop, an expert machinist, an electric/controller expert and a 55 gallon barrel of money.

Source(s): Dad built an electric motorcycle (48v 20 mile range off cr250 chassis). Applying the same principals to a truck can be done, but scaling that large is going to cost a small fortune to do it in a way that would make it practical to drive.

1

Source(s): Vehicle Complete Record http://VinNumberLookup.gelaf.info/?7Q0D

You could. However the cost of the conversion would far exceed the amount of gas that you would save. Also, the truck would pretty much be useless as a truck anymore. It could no longer haul or tow anything.

No, way too expensive to convert it.

how much are you looking to spend?