Are motorcycles safer than cars?

I keep telling my mom I want a motorcycle and she keeps saying no or when i move out her house. She said that they are more dangerous than cars. I want a kawasaki ninja 250R. Are bikes safer than cars?

Favorite Answer

"Are motorcycles safer than cars"?

Seriously? In a car you are surrounded by steel and safety glass. You are exposed to everything on a motorcycle. When riding a motorcycle you have to be much more aware of what is going on around you. Drivers in cars "don't see you", they pull out in front of you and try to change lanes on top of you. Don't get me started on drivers talking or texting on cell phones.

You not only have to safely operate the motorcycle, you also have to watch all the cars around you and try to anticipate what they might do next. This ability only comes with experience, after hundreds of close calls.

Yes, motorcycles are inherently more dangerous than cars. Still, you can safely co-exist with automobiles and trucks on the road. I have been riding for years and even a bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car.

Listen to your mother - she's right.

Sorry, but motorcycles are not any safer than cars. In fact, motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. This is because people tend to only notice other cars, and their minds will sometimes literally skip over a motorcyclist, thus causing a crash. The actual statistics are these: Motorcycles are 35 to 40 times more likely to have a fatal accident per mile driven than a car.

Not in the slightest dude. You have to be SO MUCH more aware of your surroundings on a motorcycle, and so much more **** can go wrong. There's really no safety features for a motorcycle in a crash, because they just can't be designed that way. You want a safe vehicle, get yourself a big metal car from the eighties.

I want a motorcycle too, but there's a reason they call them donor cycles. Not a lot of dudes walk away from an accident on one.

not really

you don't have the advantage of being surround by metal, as in a car.

you're not strapped on, like a seatbelt. crashes can kill you

not only do you have to be aware of your own riding, but you have to be aware of all the idiots in cars who DON'T see you.

my advice

take a rider course, most cities/counties offer some sort of motorcycle ridership program. don't just take the beginner course. learn as much as you can, including defensive.

wear protective gear all the time when you are on a bike

I rode a motorcycle for almost 10 years and i cannot even tell you how many times cars have run me off the road, didn't see me when pulling out into traffic, changed lanes w/o looking. I was grateful the one and only time i landed a bike that i was wearing my leathers and helmet!

a 250 is a beginner bike...great to learn on and excellent on gas.

you'll have to do a lot of convincing in order to get your mom on your side

i've lost too many friends to accidents on motorcycles

Your mom is very right. She always wants your betterment. Motorcycle can never be safer than cars.

Bikes are safer than cars, motorcycles aren't.

Cars are way safer

Look at it this way, try walking with one leg and see how far you get b 4 u fall over.

Bikes are safe with safe riders on them but the blind tin toppers are to busy fiddling with the radio so there as good as blind!!!

Do you have all these items in your car? Reading this could save your life.

http://bit.ly/1isiJg9