Rachel asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 7 years ago

Can you substitute candle wax for beeswax in lip balm?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Kevin
    Lv 4
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

To the point: Different grade of wax.

Unless the wax is cosmetic grade and safe for skin, I wouldn't use it.

Candle wax is often made of a different grade of wax that is simply mean to be used as a candle. Even if it is a natural wax like beeswax, it may not be cosmetic grade. Calling the company, they may also tell you "we don't recommend it for cosmetic use, only candle use"

• Lava
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I wouldn't, because unless your wax is made from natural waxes, like beeswax, soy, palm, or bayberry, then you're putting petroleum wax on your face. And industry grade candle wax is not even refined as much as wax you'd use for cooking, canning, and candy making, it's only meant for burning so it usually has a very high oil content. It would likely feel terrible on your lips, and like other petroleum products it can clog skin and pores.

If you're melting down an existing candle there's more problems. Besides color and scent, modern candles have lots of inedible additives, like microcrystalline waxes, starches, oils, and minerals that make the candle burn better. None of those are safe to eat, and if it's on your lips you want it safe enough to consume.

Source(s): I make candles from scratch.
  • 7 years ago

No. The melting temperature of beeswax allows the lip balm to spread across your lips with just your body warmth. For candle wax to work you would need to set your lips on fire to get the the lip balm to spread using candle wax.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

No its toxic to eat and u accidenty lick your lips when u wear chapstick and the wax will go in your mouth

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • hot lips

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.