Your views on purchasing animals from pet store?

Today I went to the pet store to get some dog supplies and decided to take a look at the puppies that they had there. For the record, I would never purchase a puppy from a pet store/shop. To me, it's wrong and I know all about the puppy mills and stuff, that's a totally different subject. Anyways, the... show more Today I went to the pet store to get some dog supplies and decided to take a look at the puppies that they had there. For the record, I would never purchase a puppy from a pet store/shop. To me, it's wrong and I know all about the puppy mills and stuff, that's a totally different subject. Anyways, the puppies themselves looked pretty healthy on the outside which is always good. (Hate going to see puppies that look sick). I was appalled to see that they had breeds in there that aren't usually in pet stores! Great Danes, Akitas, A RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK! They're starting to get to more "rarer" breeds that aren't popular with families and I was completely surprised. I was also appalled to see that their mixes were so expensive. An english/french bulldog mix was over $2k! According to this pet store, they say that their puppies come from reputable breeders, but I obviously don't believe that for a second. I was pretty disgusted and didn't stay long.

What are your views on pet stores/shops that have puppies, or even small animals? Do you think it's okay to purchase puppies, kittens, or small animals (rodents, birds, reptiles) from a pet store?

Note: I should also add that the puppies are displayed in 4 large glass rooms according to their size. And they play/sleep together.