Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What are some jobs in and outdoorsy/environmental field without a degree?

Originally intended on going back to school for Environmental Science, but it looks like college isn't going to work out. This is a field I'm extremely interested in and I'd love a job where I can work outside in nature. Unfortunately many of these jobs require a degree...I'm hoping someone can point me towards something that doesn't require a college degree. I'm open to technical/vocational school and/or on the job training.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

'Environmental' jobs tends to focus on advocacy, activism or regulation, while the 'Natural Resource' jobs are typically 'field' and outdoor disciplines. Job terminology for environmental/resource occupations varies widely state to state.

In one state you might find the term 'environment' applied to occupations involving regulatory agencies such as waste water management (as in environmental engineers). In another state the term 'environment' might be used to describe a job with a conservation group, natural resources or urban forestry. If you are looking for work in another state, be sure you understand the terminologies used to describe jobs in your field.

Finding work in environmental occupations can be a challenge both with and without a degree. If you are a person who enjoys being outdoors daily, you may find that outdoor work is only available as a 'blue collar' occupation or what is called a 'tech' position, meaning a four year college degree is not required to do the work. Tech work might involve GIS, geology, tree planting, trails constuction, power line clearance, and a multitude of physical outdoor activities. Yes, you can get paid to hike though the woods, just not a huge salary.

Environmental careers requiring specific college degrees are increasingly becoming 'indoor' jobs with heavy use of computer models to predict environmental events. This is a distinct change from 20-40 years ago where the professional went into the field daily and supervised tech field staff. Now an environmental professional seldom escapes from the office and does a lot of the 'field work' with aerial photos, computer generated maps, and a ton of paperwork. It all needs to be done to make the world a better place, but an environmental degree is no longer a straight path to the great outdoors.

Salaries tend to be lower among outdoor jobs, and higher in degreed positions. Don't let this deter you from following your dream, but be realistic. You won't get rich working in an outdoor occupation, so plan your lifestyle goals accordingly. The pay is higher for occupations requiring degrees and there is more opportunity for advancement or career change. If you are considering a career with an agency, check out Salaries and Wages.

Private sector jobs and working for nonprofit groups can pay more or less than government jobs. The main difference is in the benefits packages that might be available. You might not deem this important if you are young and single, but think ahead - what if you marry, have children, or need to provide for a family? If you are planning for a lifelong career in an environmental occupation, you should take into account both your present and future plans.

If all of this is new to you, you might find Greenoccupedia by Jim Cassio to be a great introduction to green careers.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Outdoorsy Jobs

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

You could get an administration job in a radiology apply. That method you're going to nonetheless be concerned in the enterprise and also you get to understand how the billing, client carrier and coding side of the trade works. First-rate of success.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.