What is the Internal Revenue Service?

I was watching the Shawshank Redemption when they were tarring the roof and Andy tried talking to the Guard how he can get around the IRS with his 35,000 dollars.

I was also watching Catch Me If You Can, in the beginning how Franks Father was trying to get a business loan but due to unspecified difficulties with the IRS wasn't allowed.

And it just makes me wonder...what is the IRS?

Is the IRS world wide or just the United States?

Because I only hear about it in American films and never here in real life where I live in the UK.

Best Answer

IRS or Internal Revenue Service is a government operated body that oversees taxation of individuals in this country. They want to make sure that the government is getting a fair cut of your earnings that go to driving this country under the federal government. Every April, they make you file a tax return for you to report your earnings and if you have deductions that are appropriate, they give you much of it back. The government is not bad as some people may like to think. You just have to do your fair share and pay back to your country.

Source(s): good luck

Every country's government has an agency that collects income taxes and manages all the various rules and enforcement pertaining to tax law in that country.

In the US that agency is the IRS. I believe the Canadians call their tax agency "Revenue Canada" which is a pretty cool name compared with IRS.

IRS collects taxes from US citizens and foreigners who live in US.

its equivalent in the UK is HM Revenue and Customs office.

No, but his taxes had been paid by way of a fish! Mat 17:27 (17:26) but that we would possibly not scandalize them, go to the sea, and cast in a hook: and that fish which shall first come up, take: and when thou hast opened it's mouth, thou shalt find a coin: take that, and give it to them for me and thee.