Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 7 years ago

How long do I bake these chicken thighs for?

I did the math for 4.71lbs. of chicken thighs at 350 degrees @ 25min/lb which equals 117.75 minutes. Isn't this the right formula? I baked them on one side for 60min because I figured I'd round it off to 120mins and I'd cook them 60min on each side. There was 10 thighs so I guess the average weight per thigh was a little less than 1/2 lb each.

All was well for the first 60min. then I flipped then and set the timer for another 60min. figuring that I was going to eat in about an hour. To my astonishment when I looked in at the chicken it looked like it was done at 80mins. The skin was crispy and i poked it and no red juice came out of it, so I took it out. The chicken is cooked all the way and it only took 80 minutes and not 117.75 minutes. I was lucky that there was an earthquake and I went into the kitchen to see what was going on. What am I doing wrong with my math? I have read that it should take 1lb of chicken 25min @ 350degrees in so many articles and they say 25min for each lb. of chicken @350 degrees.

I have started to buy larger chicken packages. I used to buy 2-3lb packages because they go on sale every month and I can buy 1 and get 2 free. I have sucessfuly cooked these for 70-75min @350 degrees But I have recently bought 20 large packages that are around 4-5lbs each with about 10 1/2lb thighs in each. How long do I bake these thighs for? I only season with a little salt and a little pepper. Also, does it matter if I used the baking pan that has 2 pieces to it? It has the normal pan and then there's a part that fits on top of it and it has slit like holes for grease to leak through into the lower part. That is what I use to bake the chicken on.

Thanks You for your answers.

• Tigger
    Favorite Answer

Bake them at 350 f on the wrong side for 30 minutes. Then flip them over and bake them right side up for 30 minutes and they will be done perfectly...

The rule of thumb is 30-35 minutes per lb at 325-350 but you do not have to calculate the total weight when using pieces. Consider the weight of one thigh and cook for the time based on it . additional thighs may add slightly to cooking time due to crowding but not necessary to cook for two hours . The average weight was .5 lb so should be ready in about 40 minutes for the ten. Verify with a meat thermometer.