What is the average life expectancy of a coal bed methane gas well?

Favorite Answer

Coal bed methane wells are unique. There is no good "average life expectancy" and coal bed methane wells from basin to basin and formation to formation will have dramatically different production profiles, and wells from different fields in the same basin can have very different production profiles.

I can find a couple of examples to illustrate this:

Powder River Basin in Wyodak and Big George have an expected life of about 8 years.

http://gswindell.com/sp107308.htm

An example from the Fruitland Coal of the San Juan Basin shows that even after 13 years the well is actually producing more gas per day than when it was first drilled. Looking at the decline curve I would estimate the well could produce for another ten or twelve years, or more, depending on the rate at which the well is considered uneconomic to continue producing. So 25 years might be reasonable for that example.

go to page 144 to see the decline curve: http://www.spe.org/industry/docs/PRMS_Guidelines_N...

There are many variables in the production from coal bed methane. I will attempt to list a few:

1. Price of methane

2. Cost of lease operation

3. Percentage and volume of water production

4. Depth of the coal

5. Rank of the coal

6. Porosity of the coal (even though the methane is adsorbed, the porosity contributes surface area for adsorption)

7. Amount of fracturing (cleats) in the coal

8. Amount of water in the coal - there are dry coal beds.

9. Pressure

10. Temperature

11. Type of well, horizontal or vertical

12. Grade of the coal (mineral content)

13. Lithology of adjoining beds (some coals are interbedded with sandstones or silt that hold free gas)

14. Technical skill of the operator

15. Gas composition (high CO2 or H2S will be detrimental, while high ethane or butane will be favorable)

Source(s): geologist

hi Mizz i'd say to personal a Cavalier is entire excitement, everyone has their perspective, sure some Cavaliers are unwell alot, yet like all breeds all of them have there personal wellbeing issuses. I truthfully have a Cavalier who's almost 3yrs, he's a gorgeous boy, yet i ought to admit he has been unwell on condition that I truthfully have had him. He has had important surgical treatment on his airway because he had an elongated plate, he has 21 hypersensitive reactions, has had seizures, yet he's so pleased with himself, he performs including his toys, is going for walks, he's on alot of drugs on a daily basis to shop his hypersensitive reactions at bay for some thing else of his existence, yet i does not be without him, he's my committed pal, compainon, and he has kept me from getting badly burnt when I fell alseep with the iron in my hand, he woke me by technique of tugging at my trousers and barking, he's my hero, bless his heart.