How come the Guild Thunderbird amp costs only $400.00?

Its all tube, from 1961, pretty big, and Mike Bloomfield used one

Im gonna buy one but it makes me think

No it plays great

Favorite Answer

Hello there,

Guild amps were never popular. On vintage gear, both condition and demand drive the value. Even if it is in good condition, the demand for Guild amps is weak. If you like the amp, get is as a player. Do not consider it as an investment. Guild amps may not increase much in value.

The price is about right. There is an on-line blog from a year ago that talked about a couple Guild amps on craigslist. Both were listed at $300.

http://craigslistvintageguitarhunt.blogspot.com/20...

Recently two Guild amps sold on ebay. One at $427 and the other at $550. But a third one did not get a bid at $400.

One thing to remember with any vintage amp, you need a good electronics tech. They require frequent maintenance to keep them playing and sounding good. The parts are old and break down. If the caps have not been replaced in the past few years, you can count on having to replace them before you can use the amp regularly. I do enjoy playing my vintage amps. But they need frequent attention to keep them going.

Later,

Guild Thunderbird

• Ralph

Most likely because its from 1961 and beat the F up, its all tube because there were no transistor amps back in the 60s, somehow I don't think you'll find a fully restored one that you can actually gig with for $400 bucks, you'll more than likely end up dumping another grand into it to bring it back to what it once was, vintage amps sell cheap for a reason,

• Ken C

+1 on all of Norm's points.

Many years ago, a guy who owned several pawn shops here in Texas pointed out something I still laugh about today.

"If Jimi Hendrix had played an Alamo amp, those would be going for $1000 and Marshalls would be a couple of hundred bucks".

• Claire

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avAMP

FYI: Watching the Willy Wonka marathon will NOT get you laid. Seriously...