Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 7 years ago

this may sound stupid but what is that dash thingy that people use in books?

i'm writing a book on msword. and i need a long - ( long hyphen)

well it looks like - (the key on the keyboard between the zero 0 and +)

but in books the dash is longer.. . if i press it twice it make two dashes and no one long one. --

how do i get this? is it a keyboard shortcut of something i have to insert. even font styles doesn't make a difference.

please help????????????

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

is an Em Dash

Alt + 0151 (on the keyboard)(do'nt you know how to use Alt codes ?)

The em dash is used in much the way a colon or a set of parentheses is used;

it can show an abrupt change in thought or be used where a full stop (or "period") is too strong and a comma too weak.

Em dashes are sometimes used to set off summaries or definitions.

How to use Alt codes:

Make sure that "Number Lock" is switched on.

There should be a light on your keyboard indicating this.

If not, press the "Number Lock" key at the top left of the numeric keypad.

Hold down the "Alt" key to the left of the space bar and key the code on the numeric keypad.

Don't release the "Alt" key until after you've typed the alt code. When you release it you should see the special character you include.

• 7 years ago

In MS Word hold the Shift key and press the dash button continuously after 5-6 times , word will automatically change that underlines to a horizontal line!

• Janet
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I like where youre going with this, i skip school loads. Usually if u go to ur mom nd say u dont feel well, she shud let u stay off school . If she doesnt let u say youll be no use in school anyway because your feeling sick, and you wont be able to focus.It works better if you say feel sick the night b4 so it doesnt arouse suspicion. Failing that, what ive done a couple of times is fake notes from my parents which are writen by friends saying i was ill yesterday and didnt come in. Howver ive been caught once and was in deep truble so i wouldnt recommend it, only a last resort. I dont really have any other ideas, the sick trick is the best i fink. Anyway good luck, hope it works! Elle, South dakota xxxxxxx

• 7 years ago

don't put spaces before and after it. the computer will auto lengthen it, unless you use mac, then shame on you and you're probably gonna have to press a combination of various keys or enter a code to get it since mac doesn't like doing things in a functional and efficient manner.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • You can make it like this:

Put a word before it then put -- now put another word like I did.

Or you can use Alt Codes to make symbols like this. Try Alt+0150 or Alt+0151

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.