John 1:1-4 Jesus is Lord?

In the beginning the Word already existed. He was with God, and he was God. He was in the beginning with God. He created everything there is. Nothing exist that he didn't make. Life itself was in him and this life gives light to everyone. (John 1:1--4)

I read my x manager's bible once and hers said "In the Begining the word was a god..." small g is usually signified as a false god, why would a false god be with God at the begining, or with him period? The woman was a "Jehovah's Witness". The bible says "Though he (Jesus) was God, he did not demand and cling to his rights as God." (Phillipians 2:6) another translation says Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to.

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." (Isiah 9:6)

"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"--which means, "God with us." (Mathew 1:23)

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.'"(John 8:58)

"And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’" (Exdous 3:14)

"For in Christ the fullness of God lives in a human body" (Collisians 2:9)

"Don't be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the living one who died. Look, I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave." (Revelations 1:17-18)

See I am coming soon, and my reward is with me, to repay all according to their deeds. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End." (Revlation 22:12-13)

WHY WOULD JESUS SAY ALL THESE THINGS IF HE WERN'T GOD?

Jesus is both man and God. When Jesus prayed, his humanity prayed to the spirit (his deity) which was dwelling in heaven AND "within" him.

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever; (John 14:16) "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." (John 14:18)

The comforter is the Holy Spirit.

Lord is God. "For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isiah 41:13)

Jesus is Lord " "Any one who has seen me has seen the Father" (John 14:8)

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Many people don't want to believe that God humbled Himself and became one of us to suffer immensely, shed His innocent blood, and die a wrongful death on the cross for those who will put their faith and trust in Him alone.Or want to stand before Him. Acts 10:36 "The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:) Romans 16:24 "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen".

# 2962 - Greek for Lord, kuriov kurios, koo'-ree-os

from kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, i.e. (as noun) controller; by implication, Master (as a respectful title):-- God, Lord, master, Sir.

• 9 years ago

Yes, Jehovah sent his Son to earth to be a light to show people the way to everlasting life. Note how this is featured at John 1:1-16. Verses 1 and 2 read: “In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god. This one was in the beginning with God.” Here John calls the prehuman Jesus by the title “Word.” This identifies the function he performed as Jehovah God’s Spokesman. And when John states that “in the beginning the Word was,” it means that the Word was the beginning of Jehovah’s creative works, “the beginning of the creation by God.” (Revelation 3:14) His preeminent position among God’s creatures gives real basis for his being called “a god,” a mighty one. Isaiah 9:6 calls him “Mighty God,” though not Almighty God.

John 1:3 states: “All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence.” Colossians 1:16 says that “by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and upon the earth.” John 1:4 says that “by means of him was life, and the life was the light of men.” So by means of the Word, all other forms of life were created; also by means of his Son, God makes it possible for sinful, dying mankind to gain everlasting life. Certainly Jesus is the mighty one whom Isaiah 9:2 calls “a great light.” And John 1:5 says: “The light is shining in the darkness, but the darkness has not overpowered it.” Light stands for truth and righteousness, in contrast with darkness, which stands for error and unrighteousness. Thus John shows that the darkness will not conquer the light.

At John 1:1 the New World Translation reads: “The Word was a god.” In many translations this expression simply reads: “The Word was God” and is used to support the Trinity doctrine. Not surprisingly, Trinitarians dislike the rendering in the New World Translation. But John 1:1 was not falsified in order to prove that Jesus is not Almighty God. Jehovah’s Witnesses, among many others, had challenged the capitalizing of “god” long before the appearance of the New World Translation, which endeavors accurately to render the original language. Five German Bible translators likewise use the term “a god” in that verse. At least 13 others have used expressions such as “of divine kind” or “godlike kind.” These renderings agree with other parts of the Bible to show that, yes, Jesus in heaven is a god in the sense of being divine. But Jehovah and Jesus are not the same being, the same God.—John 14:28; 20:17.

Source(s): www.jw.org
  • TeeM
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

To get truly satisfying answers to these points, look up your local Kingdom Hall and ask for a personal study of God's Word.

NO Where will you find a scripture that says "I am both man and God".

No Where will you find Jesus saying: "I am God".

The Jews of Jesus' day called him everything from Beelzebub to making himself equal to God.

But these where Jesus' enemies who were looking for excuses to kill him, and not ones teaching truth.

By using a bible that replaces God's name, Jehovah with the title Lord, it becomes very easy to confuse a verse describing God, with Jesus.

John some 60 years after Jesus said, 'he that has seen me has seen the Father (John 14:8) tells us at John 1: 18 No one has seen God at any time;

and again at:

1 John 4:12(NASB) No one has seen God at any time;

The prophecy concerning Immanuel, was also fulfilled in Isaiah's day, and scholars believe it was one of Isaiah's sons.

Was Isaiah's son literally Jehovah? or a sign showing that God was again with His people?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

1."In beginning was the word..."

(en arche en ho logos) A.A very simple statement that the Word was in the beginning.

2."and the word was with the God..."

(kai ho logos en pros ton theon) A.This same Word was with God.

3."and God was the word." -- Properly translated as "and the Word was God."

(kai theos en ho logos) A.This same Word was God.

"Harner notes that had John wished to express the idea that the LOGOS was "a god," or a divine being distinct from hO THEOS, he had at least two unambiguous ways of doing so [D. hO LOGOS ÊN THEOS E. hO LOGOS ÊN THEIOS]. Since he did not, we may conclude that John in all likelihood chose the syntax he did because he wished to express something else with regard to the LOGOS" (see article in source box below for further details)

The phrase kai theos en ho logos is most literally translated as "and the Word was God." (Robertson, Bruce). The reason that theos is anarthrous is both that it is the predicate nominative (Robertson, Dana and Mantey) and that it is demanded by the fact that if it had the article, it would be then interchangeable with logos, which is contextually impossible. (Robertson, Dana and Mantey, Bruce, Nicoll) Colwell's rule also comes into play at this point. The majority of scholarship sees the theos as indicating the nature of the Word, that He is God as to His nature. The noun form is here used, not the adjectival theios, which would be required to simply classify the Word as "god-like."

Hence, John 1:1 teaches that the Word is eternal (the imperfect form of eimi, en), that He has always been in communion with God (pros ton theon), and hence is an individual and recognizable as such, and that, as to His essential nature, He is God. Anything less departs from the teaching of John, and is not Biblical.

Thus here is John's understanding of the Word:

"In the beginning of all creation, the Word was already in existence. The Word was intimately with God. And the Word was as to His essence, fully God."4

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Terry
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Hi,

That is correct, Jesus was WITH God, NOT God.....

If you think that we are the only ones that say "a God" continue reading......

"When John said 'The Word was God'

he was NOT saying that Jesus is identical with God,

he was saying that Jesus is...the same as God

in mind, in heart, in being -

that in Jesus we perfectly see what God is like"

-Barclay, W. The Daily Study Bible-

The Gospel of John vol.1 "III.

[Revised Edition ISBN 0-664-21304-9:

Prof. Felix Just, S.J. - Loyola Marymount University, "and god[-ly/-like] was the Word."

Revised Version-Improved and Corrected, "the word was a god."

Moffatt's The Bible, 1972, "the Logos was divine"

Reijnier Rooleeuw, M.D. -The New Testament of Our Lord Jesus Christ, translated from the Greek, 1694, "and the Word was a god"

Abner Kneeland-The New Testament in Greek and English, 1822, "The Word was a God"

Robert Young, LL.D. (Concise Commentary on the Holy Bible [Grand Rapids: Baker, n.d.], 54). 1885, "[A]nd a God (i.e. a Divine Being) was the Word"

Belsham N.T. 1809 “the Word was a god”

J.N. Jannaris, Zeitschrift fur die Newtestameutlich Wissencraft, (German periodical) 1901, [A]nd was a god"

Andrews Norton, D.D. (in A Statement of Reasons For Not Believing the Doctrines of Trinitarians [Cambridge: Brown, Shattuck, and Company, 1833], 74). "a god"

Paul Wernle, Professor of Modern Church History at the University of Basil (in The Beginnings of Christianity, vol. 1, The Rise of Religion [1903], 16). "a God"

Ernest Findlay Scott, The Literature of the New Testament, New York, Columbia University Press, 1932, "[A]nd the Word was of divine nature"

Philip Harner, JBL, Vol. 92, 1974, "The Word had the same nature as God"

Maximilian Zerwich S.J./Mary Grosvenor, 1974, "The Word was divine"

Translator's NT, 1973, "The Word was with God and shared his nature ...with footnote, "There is a distinction in the Greek here between 'with God' and 'God.' In the first instance, the article is used and this makes the reference specific. In the second instance there is not article, and it is difficult to believe that the omission is not significant. In effect it gives an adjectival quality to the second use of Theos (God) so that the phrae means 'The Word was divine'."

Johannes Schneider, Das Evangelium nach Johannes, 1978, "and godlike sort was the Logos

J. Madsen, New Testament A Rendering , 1994, "the Word was a divine Being"

Jurgen Becker, Das Evangelium nach Johannes, 1979, "a God/god was the Logos/logos"

Lyder Brun (Norw. professor of NT theology), 1945, "the Word was of divine kind"

Friedriche Rittelmeyer, 1938, "itself a God/god was the Word/word"

Albrecht, 1957, "godlike Being/being had the Word/word"

Haenchen, 1980, "God (of Kind/kind) was the Logos/logos" [as mentioned inWilliam Loader's The Christology of the Fourth Gospel, p. 155 cf. p.260]

John Crellius, Latin form of German, The 2 Books of John Crellius Fancus, Touching One God the Father, 1631, "The Word of Speech was a God"

Greek Orthodox /Arabic Calendar, incorporating portions of the 4 Gospels, Greek Orthodox Patriarchy or Beirut, May, 1983, "the word was with Allah[God] and the word was a god"

Ervin Edward Stringfellow (Prof. of NT Language and Literature/Drake University, 1943, "And the Word was Divine"

Robert Harvey, D.D., Professor of New Testament Language and Literature, Westminster College, Cambridge, in The Historic Jesus in the New Testament, London, Student Movement Christian Press1931 "and the Logos was divine (a divine being)"

Jesus in Praying to HIS FATHER said: "This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ. John 17: 3. So listen to what the son says when he calls his father THE ONLY TRUE GOD!

• 9 years ago

Also study daniel 7 when Jesus said He was the son of man thats Him calling Himself God. Son of Manis a divine title. Thats y when He said that at trial before the pharisees they ripped there clothes and said we have heard enuff blasephemy

• 4 years ago

sure, it really is a amazing component. it really is a connection with Acts 2:3 at the same time as the holy spirit looked as hearth. it really is thoroughly diverse from Revelation 20:15 which speaks of the destruction of the wicked.

• 9 years ago

Your x manager had a Jehovhah witness bible!!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Study science if you'd like to know the real truth.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.