Has Christianity/theism really caused more harm than good?

Given that most of the world has benefited from Christianity or theism through arts, culture, philosophy, philantrophy etc, it seems to me that there is more tangible evidence to support that this way of thinking has done more good for society than harm. For example, most of the older colleges were Bible... show more Given that most of the world has benefited from Christianity or theism through arts, culture, philosophy, philantrophy etc, it seems to me that there is more tangible evidence to support that this way of thinking has done more good for society than harm. For example, most of the older colleges were Bible proclaiming religious schools originally including Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Oxnard. Hospitals as we know it today were innovation of Christianity (hence the universal symbol of the healing cross to represent a hospital). And all the U.S. Presidents thus far have claimed to be Christians and/or deists. Yet, there are still people who argue that religion and Christianity in particular has done more harm than good. What do you think?
Update: P.S. The question again is - has Christianity really caused more harm than good? Not, has Christianity done wrong; of course there were wrongs committed in the name of Christ. But in the scheme of things is it more advantageous or not? Other positive contributions: The whole concept of charity was a Christian... show more P.S. The question again is - has Christianity really caused more harm than good? Not, has Christianity done wrong; of course there were wrongs committed in the name of Christ. But in the scheme of things is it more advantageous or not?

Other positive contributions: The whole concept of charity was a Christian innovation. The Church of Christ has done more than any other institution in history to alleviate poverty and suffering. Before Christ, benevolence to strangers was unknown. The elevation of women (from the second class status they were assigned to by other religions) was a Christian achievement; as was the abolition of slavery, cannibalism, child sacrifice and widow burning. Those countries which enjoy the most civil liberties are generally those lands where the gospel has penetrated the most.
Update 2: The only thing atheists and anti-Christians have come up with is the cliched "Crusades" and vague "wars". Meanwhile atrocities towards Christians and religious people have been also been committed by totalitarian societies who declare that religion is bad, i.e.Stalin etc.
Update 3: P.S. Atheists can't come up with one thing good about atheism. Was there one University of Atheism that was started by atheists to study atheism for the good of mankind? Did they start things like the Red Cross (emphasize cross again!)? I hear crickets. Silence....Of course wars were also committed by those... show more P.S. Atheists can't come up with one thing good about atheism. Was there one University of Atheism that was started by atheists to study atheism for the good of mankind? Did they start things like the Red Cross (emphasize cross again!)? I hear crickets. Silence....Of course wars were also committed by those who say "there is no God" and that religion is bad.
10 answers 10