Has Christianity/theism really caused more harm than good?

Given that most of the world has benefited from Christianity or theism through arts, culture, philosophy, philantrophy etc, it seems to me that there is more tangible evidence to support that this way of thinking has done more good for society than harm. For example, most of the older colleges were Bible proclaiming religious schools originally including Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Oxnard. Hospitals as we know it today were innovation of Christianity (hence the universal symbol of the healing cross to represent a hospital). And all the U.S. Presidents thus far have claimed to be Christians and/or deists. Yet, there are still people who argue that religion and Christianity in particular has done more harm than good. What do you think?

Update:

P.S. The question again is - has Christianity really caused more harm than good? Not, has Christianity done wrong; of course there were wrongs committed in the name of Christ. But in the scheme of things is it more advantageous or not?

Other positive contributions: The whole concept of charity was a Christian innovation. The Church of Christ has done more than any other institution in history to alleviate poverty and suffering. Before Christ, benevolence to strangers was unknown. The elevation of women (from the second class status they were assigned to by other religions) was a Christian achievement; as was the abolition of slavery, cannibalism, child sacrifice and widow burning. Those countries which enjoy the most civil liberties are generally those lands where the gospel has penetrated the most.

Update 2:

The only thing atheists and anti-Christians have come up with is the cliched "Crusades" and vague "wars". Meanwhile atrocities towards Christians and religious people have been also been committed by totalitarian societies who declare that religion is bad, i.e.Stalin etc.

Update 3:

P.S. Atheists can't come up with one thing good about atheism. Was there one University of Atheism that was started by atheists to study atheism for the good of mankind? Did they start things like the Red Cross (emphasize cross again!)? I hear crickets. Silence....Of course wars were also committed by those who say "there is no God" and that religion is bad.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

All religions have created intolerance about other religions.

They never preached unity among human beings.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Ask yourself this - do you really believe that human altruism is exclusive to the religious? And if so, can any of the good deeds of religion reverse the damage it has caused?

In line with your additional details - I would answer with yes, religion has caused more harm than good, but only based on what I know about the history of religious atrocities (which is extensive) and my own personal experience. I cannot think of one religion, not even buddhism, that has not been responsible for a religiously-motivated atrocity of one kind or another.

There is a brilliant blog article highlighting a few of them here: http://immaletyoufinish.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/at...

"In the scheme of things" becomes irrelevant in light of the fact that no good deed can reverse a bad one - in Australia, a man was recently stripped of a bravery medal that he had earned fighting fires during Black Saturday because of the abuse his wife or partner (one or the other) was forced to endure at his hands. A convicted murderer will not be released on the grounds that he donated millions in charitable contributions. Why should we hold the church to special standards exempting it from the same justice that these people have had to face?

• 7 years ago

Religion has been used as a justification for the murders of millions of people through war, genocide, personal crimes, riots, etc. The death of one person can not be outweighed by any amount of art or philosophy. For example, I am an artist and I believe that the 2000 years of art propagated, inspired and paid for by Christianity is not even close to as valuable as a single life lost during the Crusades. In addition, religions themselves cannot contribute anything at all to a society. Individuals contribute things. God did not donate his time to serving homeless people soup, a Christian might have, but it was an act by that person, not their set of beliefs.

• 7 years ago

Well... im an atheist, not a hater, because it seems that no one likes haters.

christianity and religion offers mainly mental comfort. this is quite important. the bible and churches can claim anything they want, its not 100% christians teaching at schools is there? nor would it be that hospitals would have never existed but for christianity because eventually someone would have innvented it, but with a different sign. also... about the US president thing.... George Bush? lol

but yeah, claiming oneself as a deity doesnt actually od anything does it? this is christianity... a gentler religion. other religions have wars over which is real and stuff :3

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Sin? In Exodus 20:17 God instructions that we must no longer covet our neighbor's slaves, nor some thing else that belongs to him. What God didn't command right here is for all of these servants to receive their freedom. So commonly God has some humorous rules, they usually don't normally seem to coincide straight with what we consider to be the highest viable morality. But if we return to your query, and take away all of trimmings, you ask, "What damage does the 'sins' in Christianity reason?" Oh they've exceptional expertise to do damage! Murder is beautiful unhealthy, sure. However what about different sins? Exodus is outstanding for sins. 22:18 Says kill all the witches. Eeek. This commandment could have rather brought about some trouble if anyone stricken to learn it. Oh they did? Oh hell. 22:19 is best. Sexually abuse animals? Dying penalty! See, there is good stuff in the bible! 22:25 Says do not charge interest when lending money. LOL! Who does God consider he is speaking to? 23:thirteen Says don't even point out the names of alternative gods. So comparitive devout reviews seem to be proper out. Wow on 2d proposal, this whole sin factor seems a bit strange to me.

• 7 years ago

Crusades, halting of scientific advancement, general delusion of the populace, needless guilt in hundreds of millions of lives, and since you're using all of the US presidents as an example, that means every atrocity committed by the government was also caused by it as well. Not to mention the ostracization of other people who do not believe the same as them.

In my not humble opinion, no the benefits do not outweigh the costs.

• 7 years ago

The things you quotes as benefits of christianity, flourished more in the pre-christian classical period, so christianity can't take credit for them. Monotheism in general has only been bad for mankind.

• 7 years ago

Mother Theresa, John the Baptist, The Fisherman, helping people, that is what's good. Culture is interchangeable.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

How many wars have been started by atheists?0?

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yes, it isn't even close.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.