Are these SEVEN words the most controversial and polarizing found in the entire bible?

Genesis 1:26

"Then God said, “Let US make mankind".....

Did one Almighty God or several God's create mankind? Within 26 verses of the very 1st chapter of God's message to mankind, does he throw in a zinger to confuse us? The word US can mean 2, 3 or even more entities. What do you think about this conundrum?

Update:

@ The very next verse reverts back to God speaking in a singular tense, no longer US. Was this the creator GOD or his Word a lessor creator 'god'?

Genesis 1:27: So God created mankind in his own image,

in the image of God he created them;

male and female he created them.

Even if you interpret the words of verse 26 like Brother P's suggestion, you are faced with several dilemas further on in chapter 3 of Genesis.

Genesis 3:

22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

Did the US gods know good and evil prior to eating the fruit? And are we to believe that the creator actually placed a tree that bore 'eternal life' fruit? What 'god' big or little was 'walking around' in the garden? Was that Jesus the Word or Father god Jehovah?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Polarizing and wonderful all at the same time. I have a link that you may want to visit. It may help you in your studies.

http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-texts-genesis1...

Jesus Christ is our co-creator who is the exact image of God.

He is the image of the invisible God

And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature

So for one to suggest that he is speaking of everyone in the Kingdom is not correct at all.

Anyhow Danman, I won't bore you with the same things that you are going to read. And you are correct by brother P's interpretion You are indeed faced with several problems.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The Bible tells us, in Genesis, that God SPOKE everything into being, and that the Spirit was hovering over the surface of the Earth. John, one of Jesus' disciples, knew exactly who Jesus was and he introduces us to Jesus as the very WORD of God, who was with God, in the beginning and who was God (John 1:1-14). John identifies the Word as Jesus by saying he became flesh and dwelt with us.

There was only the One Being of God in the beginning - before time, matter, space and all life was created. Within this One Being of God subsist the three persons of the Father, the Son (the Word) and the Holy Spirit. All three were there, at creation. "Hands that flung stars into space (Jesus, the Son, the Word), to cruel nails surrendered" (Graham Kendrick, The Servant King, taken from Isaiah 43).

Yes, those words are controversial and polarizing. When God spoke those words, he was not addressing the angels which had already been created, although they were certainly present. No, God was addressing the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, all three persons who, together, make up the One Being of God. You simply cannot have one without the other two!

Check out the diagram at the end of this link which shows the eternal relationship between the three:

• YANM
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

If you look at verse 16 it says' He made the stars' also. Read it without that bit. The stars' are what you can see of God looking down. Male and female were made in Gods' image because there are more than can ever be counted. There is much more that is ignored by mankind. All have the bible read wrong.

Source(s): God.
  • 8 years ago

It's pretty simple really. "Us" refers to the whole heavenly kingdom. Nothing get's done without God's will. He willed it, and His heavenly kingdom carried it out (from the highest in command - Jesus, to the lowest spirit).

It doesn't take any glory away from God (the Father) Himself, and at the end of the day, nothing ever gets done without His say so.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • I Try
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Gen 1:26 And God said, let us make man in our image, after our likeness,.... These words are directed not to the earth, out of which man was made, as consulting with it, and to be assisting in the formation of man, as Moses Gerundensis, and other Jewish writers (f), which is wretchedly stupid; nor to the angels, as the Targum of Jonathan, Jarchi, and others, who are not of God's privy council, nor were concerned in any part of the creation, and much less in the more noble part of it: nor are the words spoken after the manner of kings, as Saadiah, using the plural number as expressive of honour and majesty; since such a way of speaking did not obtain very early, not even till the close of the Old Testament: but they are spoken by God the Father to the Son and Holy Ghost, who were each of them concerned in the creation of all things, and particularly of man: hence we read of divine Creators and Makers in the plural number, Job_35:10 and Philo the Jew acknowledges that these words declare a plurality, and are expressive of others, being co-workers with God in creation (g): and man being the principal part of the creation, and for the sake of whom the world, and all things in it were made, and which being finished, he is introduced into it as into an house ready prepared and furnished for him; a consultation is held among the divine Persons about the formation of him; not because of any difficulty attending it, but as expressive of his honour and dignity; it being proposed he should be made not in the likeness of any of the creatures already made, but as near as could be in the likeness and image of God. The Jews sometimes say, that Adam and Eve were created in the likeness of the holy blessed God, and his Shechinah (h); and they also speak (i) of Adam Kadmon the ancient Adam, as the cause of causes, of whom it is said, "I was as one brought up with him (or an artificer with him), Pro_8:30 and to this ancient Adam he said, "let us make man in our image, after our likeness": and again, "let us make man"; to whom did he say this? the cause of causes said to "`jod', he, `vau', he"; that is, to Jehovah, which is in the midst of the ten numerations. What are the ten numerations? "`aleph', he, `jod', he", that is, אהיה, "I am that I am, Exo_3:14 and he that says let us make, is Jehovah; I am the first, and I am the last, and beside me there is no God: and three jods ייי testify concerning him, that there is none above him, nor any below him, but he is in the middle:

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No. There's a lot more controversial **** than this in the Bible. The Jews have accepted this language in their strictly monotheist religion for over three thousand years.

• 8 years ago

The first thing Jehovah created was Jesus.

Jesus helped in all other Creation.

<< Colossians 1:15 >> ... "Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything else was created and is supreme over all other creation,"

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

and who exactly did God say this to and who took it down for prosperity?

What language did he say it in ?

What was it written down with and on?

Who wrote down the thoughts of God then??????

Or did God keep a diary and hand it over???

why then weren't Neanderthals Jewish???

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Trinitarians say it vindicates their view.

Non Trinitarians say it is a "royal we" used by a singular entity.

But, I agree; by far the most controversial in the entire Bible.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

He meant Us as in Himself and mankind.

Source(s): Faith
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.