Themost asked in HealthWomen's Health · 8 years ago

why are you not supposed to douche?

i ahve heard people say tht it messes with the ph balance, but sumers eve is supposed to work with the ph balance. also i have a lot of discharge and i just dint feel fresh down there even after i shower. So i am going to douch since my homecoming is coming up soon. plus i dance. so i would like a valid reason to not douche and if so another method. do not tell me soap and water. i have used the damn method every day. Plus summers eve douche is a dollar as opposed to the soaps tht are 4-8 dollars

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Breezy
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Most doctors and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommend that women don't douche. Douching can change the delicate balance of vaginal flora (organisms that live in the vagina) and acidity in a healthy vagina. One way to look at it is in a healthy vagina there are both good and bad bacteria. The balance of the good and bad bacteria help maintain an acidic environment. Any changes can cause an over growth of bad bacteria which can lead to a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis. Plus, if you have a vaginal infection, douching can push the bacteria causing the infection up into the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries.

Health problems linked to douching include:

Vaginal irritation

Bacterial vaginosis (vaj-uh-NOH-suhs) (BV)

STIs

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)

Some STIs, BV, and PID can all lead to serious problems during pregnancy. These include infection in the baby, problems with labor, and early delivery.

Douching may affect your chances of having a healthy pregnancy.

Most doctors say it's best to let your vagina clean itself. The vagina cleans itself naturally by making mucous. The mucous washes away blood, semen, and vaginal discharge. You should know that even healthy, clean vaginas may have a mild odor.

Keep the outside of your vagina clean and healthy by washing regularly with warm water and mild soap when you bathe. You should also avoid scented tampons, pads, powders, and sprays. These products may increase your chances of getting a vaginal infection.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.