Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 7 years ago

African Clawed Frog in a fish tank?

I am raising an African Clawed Frog tadpole (saved it from my developmental biology lab) and I was wondering if they are good tank mates with fish? I currently have two ryukin goldfish, a black moor and a common pelco all in one tank and I do have another tank left over that my soon to be frog can live in by itself. But I was wondering (for space conservation) if the frog would be OK in there, until he/she becomes too big and may eat my fish as an adult. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

It is unlikely that the frog will get big enough to eat the other fish. The Goldfish may possibly eat the frog. ACFs do get large (3-5"), but can only eat what they can stuff into their mouths whole. They have no teeth or tongues. However, I would not consider them compatible with Goldfish. They prefer much warmer temperatures than Goldfish can tolerate (79-82 degrees). Plus, they are nearly blind, and the Goldfish may eat all of the frog's food before it can find it.

The frog will be much better off in a solitary tank. 10 gallons is a good size for it, they have to surface to breathe, so a deep tank is not recommended. Do have a hood, they can jump really well!

As an aside, the Common Pleco is not compatible with Goldfish, either. Just FYI.

Hope this helps!

Source(s): Hobbyist for many years, and I have an ACF.