Why is the Chevy Volt so hated by conservatives?

If it's because the car was produced from a bailout, then I contend that production initiated in 2008, which is 1 year prior to GM filing for Chapter 11. And even if it is, why wouldn't we want the volt to succeed in sales? How has the bailout negatively affected American citizens? Are they poorer for having the government give the bailout? Are there less jobs now had there not been a bailout? Has the bailout been the soul reason for a terrible economy? If none of these things, then what is it about the Volt that makes the conservatives REvolt?

@ lifeline:

Your entire first paragraph about President Obama giving back the $4500.00 in tax rebate is wrong... Not the dollar amount, but who claims responsibility for it is! That rebate that you spoke of was started in 2008 by President George W. Bush titled " The Energy Improvement and Extension Act". It is true the President Obama, through his stimulus bill, also gave tax benefits to those same hybrid car owners, but it was MUCH less than George Bush's bill. So that first paragraph is completely wrong.

As for the "shovel ready jobs", The president is right, there aren't such things as "shovel ready jobs". But that wasn't because the money went to Solyndra instead. It's because CONGRESS (who traditionally controls budgetary concerns) could not speed of the contract regulatory process to get the funds through to the states, like Arizona for example. The jobs and shovels are ready, CONGRESS needs to get through the red tape and appropria

@ lifeline:

Best Answer

One of the reason GM needed a bailout was the Volt. They would be losing money now on every one if not for government subsidies. GM should have been allowed to fail and have its manufacturing bought out by companies who could make it work. Ford for example, they didn't need to be bailed out,m because they figured out how to make money and adapted to it.

• Linda

It's interesting because the impression of the Chevy Volt that I had formed was from what I had read here from people making fun of the car on YA. I thought the Volt was on the same level as the Ford Fiesta; and then I actually went to the site not long ago and was completely shocked to find that the car is very futuristic-looking and waaay out of my price range. I guess there are those who really do so hate that Obama saved the US auto industry that their hatred becomes infectious.

Peter, come on man, are you so bias? Some do dislike it and some don't just like any other group. I guess those that dislike it do so because of the incentives given by GM--Government Motors to buy the car. Are you aware that the government pays off this incentive? Yes, obama cars-r-us pays over $4,500 bucks to any person that buys one..you do know that the incentive is tax money right which give reason not to like it--pay from tax money for a car that obama hopes will be successful--to crow that his idea--go green was a good one but if the car and obama's idea was a good one, why pay the incentive?

al the money for the bailout has been wasted and the number of jobs (the "shovel ready") that obama said would be created have not; the last figure on these jobs was like several millions (these created jobs cause a few million dollars) and yet the unemployment rate has not changed but the money is gone. Why did obama say that there were several shovel ready jobs and then in an interview was videotaped laughing saying " I guess the shovel ready jobs were not so shovel ready."

these ideas set forth by obama have wasted trillions of tax payers money that could have helped get America back to work instead of being wasted--Solindra, other 'go Green ideas, windmills, etc. obama should not use America's tax money to support his agenda--go green because it will not change...just look at other developing nations---is obama going to force china to change--not pollute the earth?

Yes, America is poorer--the huge amounts of money wasted on "bets" and investments on green jobs could have been given to every America and they could have decided to buy what they wanted

9sure, its not a real idea) thus supporting the small businesses rather then betting on windmills, solar cars, solar batteries, and solar panels and Green businesses.

Yes, the economy has forced us to borrow from china---the interest America has to pay china has pretty much paid for the battleship china now has (and will one day use against us--they want to be a powerful nation too and if obama wins, the economy will sink even deeper--set off a new recession making us vulnerable---borrowing more from china. But, I guess obama will borrow more from china and pay interest and borrow some more and pay the interest and sooner or later, china will owe America--- we will be forced to do what china tells obama to order us to do--executive order. .

You do know that there are camps ready to hold Americans--those that do not bow to the government; America had camps for those of other races; WWII

Oh, yea, I love the power of my gas-powered truck and my SUV so I have no need for the Volt...have you seen how the Volt has negatively affected GM...it cost too much that they actually lose money on each one they build.

The Chevy Volt has all the makings of an anti-capitalist, green alternative to the oil loving, Saudi kissing, Koch licking GOP BS machine.

• John

Everybody with a brain hates it too. Its an engineering and financial farce. The volt is a perfect example of what happens when American engineered cars try to innovate.

They are haters. Its what they do. Its all they do.